Automated Backup Problem

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Automated Backup Problem

Postby MTZDetroit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 am

We are running PC+ 11.55 at ML 10/1/2014.

I have configured our server (running Windows Server 2008 R2) to run a scheduled task daily after hours for pcbackup.exe located in the directory where Power Church is loaded.

I have directed the backup to be placed on the local hard drive. Later, our backup software takes that backup and moves it to an external networked drive. I do this because we backup other files that are on the same local drive.

I have directed Power Church to Save backup to: \\ZIONSERVER\POWER CHURCH BACKUP\ along with instructions to send me an email.

Manuel execution from directory where Power Church is loaded:
1) Backup runs successfully
2) Email is sent
3) Backup log is updated

Automated task:
1) Task is executed successfully with RC 0
2) No email is sent
3) Backup log is not updated
4) Backup is nowhere to be found

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Michael Sanchez
PC + user 8 years
Mt Zion Temple - Clarkston, MI
MTZDetroit
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby Zorak » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Do you have anything in the Start In (optional) field on the Task Scheduler? It is apparently not optional. Point it to the same PowerChurch program directory and it should work.

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/438 ... -fall-2014
Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 8:59 am
Location: PowerChurch Software

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby MTZDetroit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Zorak, thanks.

I actually did try that perviously based on the posting you mentioned. It did not not make any difference. I tried with the directory C:\Power Church... as well as the network path \\ZionServer\Power Church...

I am very perplexed.
MTZDetroit
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby NeilZ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:01 pm

MTZDetroit wrote:Zorak, thanks.

I actually did try that perviously based on the posting you mentioned. It did not not make any difference. I tried with the directory C:\Power Church... as well as the network path \\ZionServer\Power Church...

I am very perplexed.


I've found that the network path really doesn't work. You should be using the mapped drive to point to the executable, and map the drive to the backup location.

Then make sure that the task scheduler uses an account of someone on that machine.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby MTZDetroit » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:48 pm

The Scheduled Task is being run from our server where Power Church is installed. Are you saying I should map a drive on the server to where Power Church is installed?

We have Power Church running on the server under C:\ZION-Main Church\Power Church\Power Church-Main Church which is the path I have specified for the Scheduled Task...."C:\ZION - Main Church\Power Church\Power Church-Main Church\pcbackup115.exe"

Also, I specified the same path for the Start in(optional): field for the Scheduled Task.

I apologize if I am misunderstanding what you are asking.
MTZDetroit
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby NeilZ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:25 pm

MTZDetroit wrote:The Scheduled Task is being run from our server where Power Church is installed. Are you saying I should map a drive on the server to where Power Church is installed?

We have Power Church running on the server under C:\ZION-Main Church\Power Church\Power Church-Main Church which is the path I have specified for the Scheduled Task...."C:\ZION - Main Church\Power Church\Power Church-Main Church\pcbackup115.exe"

Also, I specified the same path for the Start in(optional): field for the Scheduled Task.

I apologize if I am misunderstanding what you are asking.


I assumed you were running the task from a client since the backup location you listed is a fully qualified network path, not a drive on the server.
If this is indeed the case, then don't use the fully qualified path, just use the drive letter & path.

That said, try setting up the backup task from a client, with full mapped drives, and see what happens. Couldn't hurt.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby MTZDetroit » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks.

Oddly, I had tried to run from a client. When setting up the Scheduled Task in Windows 8 the mapped drive would not appear as a selection. Instead, I set up the task from the Network location. It failed. I did not trouble shoot since this was a work around anyway and I thought I would focus on the Scheduled Task running from the server.

To clarify, the Scheduled Task runs and completes with RC=0 but I cannot find the output. The Backup log is not updated in Power Church. If I manually execute pcbackup.exe the backup completes and the log is updated.

I am stumped.
MTZDetroit
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby NeilZ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:01 pm

MTZDetroit wrote:Thanks.

Oddly, I had tried to run from a client. When setting up the Scheduled Task in Windows 8 the mapped drive would not appear as a selection. Instead, I set up the task from the Network location. It failed. I did not trouble shoot since this was a work around anyway and I thought I would focus on the Scheduled Task running from the server.

To clarify, the Scheduled Task runs and completes with RC=0 but I cannot find the output. The Backup log is not updated in Power Church. If I manually execute pcbackup.exe the backup completes and the log is updated.

I am stumped.


The task may run, but I doubt the program actually runs, since there's no log created.

I would double check what you have setup under the Powerchurch FILE->PREFERENCES menu, make sure that the path list there is correct, and setup the email there to be sent for any reason success and error.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby MTZDetroit » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks. I have checked the path under preferences and I have specified the email be sent always.

Issue is still not resolved. I will try and think of some other angles but so far this has not been successful.
MTZDetroit
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:39 am
Location: Clarkston, Michigan

Re: Automated Backup Problem

Postby NeilZ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 pm

MTZDetroit wrote:Thanks. I have checked the path under preferences and I have specified the email be sent always.

Issue is still not resolved. I will try and think of some other angles but so far this has not been successful.


I've not seen other users with this problem. I'd start looking at the server setup for permissions, and so on.

Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.
NeilZ
 
Posts: 8904
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:20 am
Location: Connellsville, PA