Deleting previous years

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NeilZ

Re: Deleting previous years

Post by NeilZ »

MaryTeslow wrote:We are a small lay-led Fellowship with only volunteers. We have the online version of PowerChurch and as a fairly new Treasurer, I'm increasingly comfortable. Our PowerChurch file goes back many years. This includes multiple members, vendors, and some accounts that are no longer relevant. I have made backups with all data. However, I have been hesitant to try to make deletions.
What is the best approach to peeling off these older years?
Thanks, Mary
How far back do you want to go? I'd do a backup using the Powerchurch Backup utility, then start with the oldest year you want to remove. See what happens, see if there are any issues. If you don't see any, do the next one, and repeat as necessary. That said, the IRS has requirements for retention of data:
Records of revenue and expenses, including payroll records: Retain for at least four years after filing the returns to which they releate.
While churches do not file returns normally, you have to maintain contribution records and the membership records that may be connected to them for this period.
Records releating to acquisition and disposition of property (real and personal, including investments): Retain for at least four years after the filing of the return for the year in which the disposition occurs.
Again, while the church does not file, you need to retain records for those donations.

These requirements will require keeping some accounts/vendors/members for at least four years also.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

NeilZ

Re: Deleting previous years

Post by NeilZ »

MaryTeslow wrote:Neil, Thank you so much for your quick and thorough reply. It's a comfort to know that my plan to peel off the oldest year is on the right track. Also retaining some data for the required number of years. I do see in the manual how to delete individual components, such as members.
What I haven't discovered, is how to remove an entire year.
Its not possible right now in Membership, but in Fund Accounting and Contributions you can use the 'Delete Old Data' function.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.