Backup problem

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

cbrown

Backup problem

Post by cbrown »

I have two versions of PC, 11.5 and 12. I use V 12 but keep 11.5 to access old files. I have 12 setup to automatically backup daily using the PCBakup executable in the V12 directory. When I try to restore the files I get an error message that says I'm trying to restore V11.5 files. I have double checked my setup and even ran the backup utility manually by selecting it in the V12 directory. Somehow it's grabbing some old files. Any ideas? If I rename the old V11.5 directory, do you think that would help?

NeilZ

Re: Backup problem

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:I have two versions of PC, 11.5 and 12. I use V 12 but keep 11.5 to access old files. I have 12 setup to automatically backup daily using the PCBakup executable in the V12 directory. When I try to restore the files I get an error message that says I'm trying to restore V11.5 files. I have double checked my setup and even ran the backup utility manually by selecting it in the V12 directory. Somehow it's grabbing some old files. Any ideas? If I rename the old V11.5 directory, do you think that would help?
I would check two things:

1. Check the v12 backup settings under FILES -> PREFERENCES, to make sure that its properly pointing to the proper backup location. I'd have a separate backup directory from that used with v11.5

FWIW .. if you upgraded from 11.5, v12 will have all the data that was in the system previously.

2. Check the backup settings under the TASK MANAGER to make sure that you have it pointing to the PCPLUS12 directory for the executable, and that in the START IN block, you have (assuming that PCPLUS is on C:) C:\POWERCHURCH\PCPLUS12\ entered there.

I suspect you're pointing to the old PCBACKUP exectuable under the PCPLUS115 directory.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

Neil - I had previously checked those settings and just confirmed that they are ok. What is interesting is that when I run a manual backup under the utilities tab it works OK. It's just when I use the PCBak utility in the PowerChurch directory that it doesn't work correctly, whether I run it by double-clicking on it or have my backup utility call the routine. I am suspicious that there is a conflict between the two versions of PowerChurch. It's not such a big deal that I want to dump and reload either version. I back it up every time I use it anyway.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:Neil - I had previously checked those settings and just confirmed that they are ok. What is interesting is that when I run a manual backup under the utilities tab it works OK. It's just when I use the PCBak utility in the PowerChurch directory that it doesn't work correctly, whether I run it by double-clicking on it or have my backup utility call the routine. I am suspicious that there is a conflict between the two versions of PowerChurch. It's not such a big deal that I want to dump and reload either version. I back it up every time I use it anyway.
I have no problem with both versions at the church, and the backup is done with the proper system.

FWIW .. don't test the backup by clicking on the program in the directory, test by running the saved task under the TASK MANAGER. That's the only way you can be sure that its working properly.

You select the task, then select RUN in the actions list on the right.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

I'd also check to make sure that the date of the pcbackup12.exe program is 11/1/2017.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

My V12 Backup is dated 12/28/2017. Probably the date I installed it? This is very strange. I'm much better at computers than I am at PowerChurch and II've triple checked all the settings and can find nothing wrong. Since I don't refer to V11.55 any longer maybe I'll just archive it and install it in the future if I need it. I have all the previous data files backed up in two places offsite, so I have an accounting trail should I need it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:My V12 Backup is dated 12/28/2017. Probably the date I installed it? This is very strange. I'm much better at computers than I am at PowerChurch and II've triple checked all the settings and can find nothing wrong. Since I don't refer to V11.55 any longer maybe I'll just archive it and install it in the future if I need it. I have all the previous data files backed up in two places offsite, so I have an accounting trail should I need it.
You may be right about the pcbackup12.exe install date.

If when you ran the Task Manager task setup to automatically backup, and it performed a proper V12 backup, then there's something else causing the issue.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

I think this is something for PC Tech support. I have performed extensive diagnostics and here is what I've done:
1. Deleted v11.55 and V12 from both computers by running the uninstall utility in the PC directories and then deleting what's left.
2. Re-installed V12 on both computers
3. Ran backups from both the Utilities menus in the program.
4. Ran backups by running the PCBackup12.exe utility

Here is what I found. All backups that I run from the Utilities Menu in PC12 will load and work fine on either of my machines.
The files created by running PCBackup12.exe give an error that says it includes files from 11.5 and cannot be opened in V12. This happens whether I try to restore them in their native machine or in the second machine. I have verified that all file locations are correct and the "pointers" are correct.

Hopefully Zorak is monitoring this and may be able to make a suggestion. In the meantime I'll continue to do manual backups.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:I think this is something for PC Tech support. I have performed extensive diagnostics and here is what I've done:
1. Deleted v11.55 and V12 from both computers by running the uninstall utility in the PC directories and then deleting what's left.
2. Re-installed V12 on both computers
3. Ran backups from both the Utilities menus in the program.
4. Ran backups by running the PCBackup12.exe utility

Here is what I found. All backups that I run from the Utilities Menu in PC12 will load and work fine on either of my machines.
The files created by running PCBackup12.exe give an error that says it includes files from 11.5 and cannot be opened in V12. This happens whether I try to restore them in their native machine or in the second machine. I have verified that all file locations are correct and the "pointers" are correct.

Hopefully Zorak is monitoring this and may be able to make a suggestion. In the meantime I'll continue to do manual backups.
I'll make sure he checks this out.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I will get this written up and will get it fixed in a Maintenance Release.

I'm sure it's just a property that was missed when moving all the existing functionality from 11.55 to 12.

In the meantime, if you need to restore that backup, give us a call in Technical Support at (800) 486-1800 and we will get the version inside the backup changed for you.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

I am able to load a back up no problem, as long as I do it from the utilities menu. It’s only the automated back up that is giving me a problem. I’ll wait for the maintenance release and continue to do manual backups. Thanks for your help.