Issue with Automated Backup

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Welcome@FCCEJ

Issue with Automated Backup

Post by Welcome@FCCEJ »

v11.55 user running Windows 10 Pro. I am running a DELL OptiPlex 7080 with a standard installation of PowerChurch in C:\PowerChurch\PCPlus115. I am using Windows Task Scheduler for automated backups (followed steps precisely using PowerChurch's own tutorial). I set the target directory within PowerChurch (under the "Backup & Restore Files" utility) to C:\PowerChurch\Backups. Manually initializing backups using the "Backup & Restore Files" successfully backups PCBACKUP_xxxx_xxxxx.zip to target directory. However, I get a "failed to copy" email notice when the Windows Task Scheduler runs PCBackup115.exe which states:

06/10/2021 10:50:01 AM - Begin backup PCBACKUP_20210610_1050ADP.ZIP
06/10/2021 10:50:14 AM - Created backup successfully to "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\"
06/10/2021 10:50:14 AM - FAILED to copy file to "C:\Users\Welcome\"

For whatever reason, PCBackup115.exe wants to copy files to an old directory that no longer exists and, most importantly, it is not the directory that I am targeting in PowerChurch via the "Backup & Restore Files" utility. So instead, my automatically backed up files end up in the Temp folder under AppData\Local\ and that isn't ideal; but my manually backed up files honor my target directory preference. Is there a configuration file that is bugged and causing the PCBackup115.exe to ignore my target directory preference?

A few other notes:
- Yes, I've reinstalled the software.
- Yes, I've rechecked my Windows Task Scheduler steps. I actually had a separate thread about that and resolved a Task Scheduler issue. This is different now.
- Yes, I've changed the targeted directory in "Backup & Restore Files" utility a dozen times, and I used the plain C:\ (root) directory and oodles of others. PCBackup115.exe still insists on copying files to the no longer existing C:\Users\Welcome\...... directory.

Thanks for your help and talk soon.

NeilZ

Re: Issue with Automated Backup

Post by NeilZ »

Welcome@FCCEJ wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 pm
<snip>
A few other notes:
- Yes, I've reinstalled the software.
- Yes, I've rechecked my Windows Task Scheduler steps. I actually had a separate thread about that and resolved a Task Scheduler issue. This is different now.
- Yes, I've changed the targeted directory in "Backup & Restore Files" utility a dozen times, and I used the plain C:\ (root) directory and oodles of others. PCBackup115.exe still insists on copying files to the no longer existing C:\Users\Welcome\...... directory.

Thanks for your help and talk soon.
Have you changed the directory under the Powerchurch System Preferences. The Automated Backup uses the directory setup there as the save directory. What you appear to be changing is the directory located under the Backup utility, which is saved as part of YOUR user configuration.

Go to -> FILES -> PREFERENCES -> SYSTEM SETUP OPTIONS, then located the BACKUP tab. Choose the directory you want to use there, then click the OK button.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Just out of curiosity, take a look in this computer's C:\PowerChurch\PCPLUS115 directory. See if there is a copy of PCINFO (cdx, dbf, and fpt) in that directory. From the behavior you are reporting, it sounds like you have data files that were copied/pasted into the root program directory rather than the \Data folder where they belong.

Welcome@FCCEJ

Post by Welcome@FCCEJ »

Thank you for the prompt replies. NeilZ's recommendation worked. It is strange that the Backup & Restore app under utilities wouldn't also be the place to set target directories for backups. Consolidation of those features would be helpful and much more intuitive.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Welcome@FCCEJ wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 am
Thank you for the prompt replies. NeilZ's recommendation worked. It is strange that the Backup & Restore app under utilities wouldn't also be the place to set target directories for backups. Consolidation of those features would be helpful and much more intuitive.
The System Setup preferences IS the location to setup the default backup directory and is where the PCBACKUP program goes to get that default directory.

From the HELP file:
PowerChurch Plus features an external backup program that can be added as a Scheduled Task in Windows. The settings on this tab relate to the automated backup routine.

·Encrypt Backups. For additional data security, backup zip files created by PowerChurch Plus are encrypted. This prevents someone from accessing the data files from outside of PowerChurch Plus. This option is enabled by default.

·Save Backup To. Click the Choose Folder button to browse to the location where you would like the backup files to be stored. It is important that this location remains available for the backup routine to be successful. For example, if the backups are to be stored on a mapped network drive, the host computer where the files are to be physically stored must be powered on and network accessible at the time the backup routine runs.

·Send E-mail To. The backup routine can send an e-mail notification to the specified address when the backup is complete. Optionally, you can specify that e-mails are only sent when an error is encountered in the backup process.

Note: E-mail notifications are sent from the e-mail account that is set up under the E-mail Tab. E-mail notifications will not be available if the system-wide e-mail settings are not defined.

·View Log. Click this button to open the log file. The log file tracks the results each time the backup routine runs.

For more information, please refer to Automated Backups.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.