Completed database file list

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gregsass

Completed database file list

Post by gregsass »

I help take care of the computers at my church. I am not a PowerChurch Plus user. Over the past several months, we've had several staff changes. Last Friday (3/26) the computer running PowerChurch Plus 8.5 had a hard drive crash. This evening, I was able to retrieve files off the old hard drive by installing it as a slave in another computer. In order to recover all data (backups haven't been happening like they needed to be because of the staff changes) I was simply going to copy the files off the failed hard drive onto the new computer that I installed PC+8.5. However, I don't know if I got all the files or not. I've searched the PowerChurch.com site but couldn't find a complete list of all the database files. Can someone provide that to me so I can make sure I've got all the right files copied. Otherwise it looks like it might take several months of data reentry to get things back.

Also, based on other entries, it looks like the 8.5 install on the new computer, then copying the files from the old system onto the new system is the correct approach. Is that right?

Zeb
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Completed database file list

Post by Zeb »

gregsass wrote:
Also, based on other entries, it looks like the 8.5 install on the new computer, then copying the files from the old system onto the new system is the correct approach. Is that right?
that is correct. There is no published list of files. If you copy the files over like above, then go into the program and go to Utilities--Reindex- and reindex all the files, if it goes thru with no errors then all files are there. Powerchurch stores all of its data in the folder called data directly inside its folder. The only data outside of there is custom report files.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Just a hint from someone who's been there. We had a few staff changes in the past, and found that backups were not being done properly (overwritten tapes and floppies). To safeguard the PCPlus data, I started bringing my USB powered ZIP drive to church with me on Sunday, along with my Bible.

I have two ZIP disks I use to backup. One stays in the money drop safe at church, the other comes home with me as an offsite backup. In this way, we always have a backup, and we would only have to reenter data from the previous Sunday if something happened.

I've also insured that our 30GB tape backup has been setup to do a weekly full backup, and daily changed files backups. This covers our server, along with all connected PCs, and insures all files are covered. This is another tape I make sure is switched out weekly, and the most current comes home with me as an offsite.

May seem redundant in the case of PCPlus data being backed up in two separate places, but if a weekly tape goes south I still have the ZIP backup to restore with. Not to mention I have weekly backups from over two years in storage in case membership data should not have been changed or deleted.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Excellent suggestion! It's ALWAYS a good idea to have multiple backups, and an even better idea to keep one of them off-site.

A lot of churches will rely on their tape backup to keep their PowerChurch data, and that's fine. However, it's a good idea to make backups within PowerChurch (using floppy, ZIP drive, or CD) as well because it's so much easier to restore files that way. For instance, we encourage folks to make a backup to archive at the end of the year, and even at the end of every month. It is much easier to just select the "restore" option in PowerChurch than it is to call your tech in (No offense, NeilZ! :P ) to find the appropriate files on a backup tape and restore those.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

wupc

List of Files

Post by wupc »

Funny, I seem to remember getting one - but perhaps it just lists the main ones.

Here is how to get a complete list:
Using a spare computer that does not have PowerChurch on it, do a clean install of the program.
Print out a directory listing of the files after the new install.

Uninstall PowerChurch from the spare computer and put the file list in a three hole ring binder notebook with your other customization and notes for the program - I keep the list at the very back as 'an appendix' together with various technotes and emails I have printed and saved.

foxygramps

Post by foxygramps »

There is a much easier way to get a print out of all of the Data files. Data files for versions 7, 8, and 8.5 can be found at PowerChurch.com, Support, Knowledge base, search knowledge base, select your operating system, and display everything.
The list of data files will be found at the bottom of the list.
Be sure to expand the 'printer friendly' window to full screen before printing. That should not be neccessary, but I only got a partial printout on both of my printers, until I expanded to full screen.
Charles Fox.

fmcministries

database files and backups

Post by fmcministries »

sympathise with you on rebuilding - had a floppy drive go "gaga" while running version 7 - didn't find it out until the hard drive started taking errors and tried to load the program on a backup computer and update the data from floppy - 4 months worth of floppies with total garbage (they had backed up and verified ok on the machine they were on) - with version 8 I purchased a rebuit zip-100 internal for the finance computer and a pack of 10 zip disks.
2 copies stay on site - 1 in the drive and one in a zip disk case mounted on the side of the file cabinet
1 copy goes off site with the treasurer
all 3 copies get and all data (- pictures) ANY Time checks have been written or at the end of counting contributions

the 2 + 1 is the recommended minimum for disastor recovery
many industries/ bussinesses do a 2 + 1 +1 (2 copies on site local to machine, 1 copy on site remote from the machine, 1 copy off site

with the floppies I had done 2 + 1 but never verified them with off site
equipment - this is done with the zip disks.
FMCMINISTRIES

Pastor Drew

Post by Pastor Drew »

I'm responding to this ancient thread because we are in the same situation, version 12.

Sunday afternoon our finance folks said they could not access PowerChurch so on Monday I found that our Dell server circa 2007 is not booting up at all. Since PowerChurch is the only thing we've been using it for in recent years I want to pull the data files off the hard drive.

In our case, they also have not been backing up even though there were instructions to (imagine that!)

Does anyone know what needs to be done so this disk can be explored?

Drew Marshall
South Lake Presbyterian Church
Clermont, Florida

Pastor Drew

Post by Pastor Drew »

Nevermind, I got it and am posting in case someone finds this in a future search.

I just had to assign a drive letter to it, and I KNEW that. D'Oh!
Drew Marshall
South Lake Presbyterian Church
Clermont, Florida

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Drew,

you can setup the program pcbackupxx.exe (located in the PCPLUSXX directory) to run automatically using the WIndows Task Scheduler. The XX is the version of Powerchurch you're currently using.

More information on this can be found here: https://www.powerchurch.com/support/438 ... -fall-2014
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.