BACK UP

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

JT6248

BACK UP

Post by JT6248 »

We have Church Plus 10 Version. I made back up and restore to computer a couple of times. Things seem to be running fine until I started to make another back up. I am no longer given the option to back up to my E drive where I have the CD-RW disk, it only gives me the A: drive (floppy)and folder option. Now if I want to restore back to computer, it gives me that option. What do I need to do for it to recognize the E drive again to make backups?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Is your E drive a CD/DVD combo? We have problems communicating with the CD-R/RW even if it is only a DVD reader.

There will be a Maintenance Release for version 10 next week that fixes this issue and adds DVD burning capability.

If this is not a DVD combo drive, make sure that My Computer (or in Vista, it is just 'Computer') recognizes the drive at all.

JT6248

Post by JT6248 »

I don't think that it is a combo. But the weird thing is that I was able to use the back up before and even weirder is that if I want to restore files back, it would read the E drive. You think that it is part of the glitch that's gonna get fix next week?

elwinkershaw

system crashes with back up attempt

Post by elwinkershaw »

I have run into a glitch subsequent to running the lst maintenance release to go to 10.4 . As soon as I installed the update my powerchurch program crases when I attempt to do a back up. I receive a message asking if I want to notify microsoft. What is happening? and how do I fix? This is occurring on both computers that I have the powerchurch 10 installed on. I am running vista on one machine and xp pro on the other.

Elwin

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

I am having the same problem. Tried to reboot and reinstall Maint. Release with no success. What is the fix. Not good that I can not do a backup. Running Windows XP. Can I go back to the last Miant. Release or am I locked into this one???
Tom

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

What is the error message that you receive? At what point in the backup process? What devices are you trying to backup to?

More info please!

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

The first time I tried to do a backup I got a message that said it was doing a one time backup component update or something similar to this. I am not sure of the exact wording. I then got a message that PowerChurch was encountering a problem and was shutting down. Which it did after I chose not to send a message to microsoft. This message comes up after I click on the utilities selection. I do not get the drop down menu at all. Strange thing is I just tried it on the computer I have at home and it works fine. The only difference I am aware of is that the Church PC has XP Pro and I have XP Home. Any Ideas???
Tom

elwinkershaw

backup crash

Post by elwinkershaw »

My program crashes as soon as click on the backup submenue of utilities

elwinkershaw

back up crashes

Post by elwinkershaw »

The message iI receive is one from the computer system which says that the program has encountered an error and has shut down.

NeilZ

Re: back up crashes

Post by NeilZ »

ekershaw wrote:The message iI receive is one from the computer system which says that the program has encountered an error and has shut down.
Quick question that may also help the techies at Powerchurch:

Which computer (XP or Vista) is the 'server' computer; that is, the one with the shared Powerchurch directory, and which computer is the 'client' ?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

elwinkershaw

Post by elwinkershaw »

Neither computer is solely client or server. One computer is used at hopme and one is used at the church. When I work at home I use the backup last made from the church and when I work at the church I use the last backup made from either church or home depending on where I was inputting data most recently. The computers are not linked at all.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

With the 11/6/2007 release of Version 10 an upgrade to the component we use to burn backups to CD drives was shipped. This component detects and burns to DVD/CD-RW combo drives and DVD-RW/CD-RW drives. With this release, some flash drives using the U3 technology which initializes as both a flash drive and CD drive cause a problem and closes PowerChurch. We are in contact with the developers of this component and are working on a solution.

There is a work around to this problem while we work on a proper solution. This component is initialized when the Backup screen is started. If the flash drive is not connected to the system when starting the Backup/Restore screen, then attached before going past the first page of the assistant you will be able to Backup to or Restore from the flash drive.

We thank those that have assisted in diagnosing this problem.
Tracy

elwinkershaw

Post by elwinkershaw »

Thqnkyou. I tried your work around and it does solve my trouble.