Backing up files on second computer

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

dynamite_the_only

Backing up files on second computer

Post by dynamite_the_only »

Hello,

We have a second computer with PowerChurch for the treasurer.

i am getting set to help him with the data. He is concerned about keeping his info, as it is financial and more important than my data being just particulars of families.

if I back up my computer (which has more current info), and save it on top of his computer, is there any reason to worry about him loosing his data?

thank you
Jacquie Pounden, Secretary
Grace Christian Reformed Church

NeilZ

Re: Backing up files on second computer

Post by NeilZ »

dynamite_the_only wrote:Hello,

We have a second computer with PowerChurch for the treasurer.

i am getting set to help him with the data. He is concerned about keeping his info, as it is financial and more important than my data being just particulars of families.

if I back up my computer (which has more current info), and save it on top of his computer, is there any reason to worry about him loosing his data?

thank you
I take it that the computers are NOT networked ?? The issue right now is what data does the treasurer's computer contain. If its only the accounting data, then it would be a simple matter to first backup the accounting data from his computer using the Powerchurch backup utility, then restore that backup to your machine. After that, do a complete backup of your machine, then restore that to the treasurer's machine.

However, if the treasurer's computer also contains contributions data, where the treasurer created membership records for the contributions, then there could be a problem with trying to any type of backup and restore operation.

So, before giving any firm advice, we would need more data on what data is kept where.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.