No backup drives have been detected

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

JHHUNTER

No backup drives have been detected

Post by JHHUNTER »

Hello, I'm trying to back up all my data files and pictures using the Utilities function of PC+. I get the message "No backup drives have been detected". My DVD RW Drive is working properly and my external harddrive works properly. What am I doing wrong? I have used this function in the past. Thanks.

NeilZ

Re: No backup drives have been detected

Post by NeilZ »

JHHUNTER wrote:Hello, I'm trying to back up all my data files and pictures using the Utilities function of PC+. I get the message "No backup drives have been detected". My DVD RW Drive is working properly and my external harddrive works properly. What am I doing wrong? I have used this function in the past. Thanks.
What version of Powerchurch and Windows are you using ?? This would help to decide what advice to pass on.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CoreOmaha

Post by CoreOmaha »

I'm having the exact same problem, running 10.4 and Vista. The .zip file, packaged or unpackaged, reads that there are no backup files in the folder or the discs we tried. Can't do a new one because the old computer crashed at the hard drive level. Help!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CoreOmaha wrote:I'm having the exact same problem, running 10.4 and Vista. The .zip file, packaged or unpackaged, reads that there are no backup files in the folder or the discs we tried. Can't do a new one because the old computer crashed at the hard drive level. Help!
What are you trying to restore ??

The restore function is looking for specific files in the folder. Usually they are named much like this:

PCBACKUP_20060912_1336ADP.ZIP

The file is then recognized by the restore function as a Powerchurch Backup, taken on Sep 12 2006, at 13:36 (1:36pm), the ADP shows that its an all-files backup.

If the files are not in that format, the restore function will probably not be recognized.

If you're trying to restore to another machine due to the disk crash, the first thing you need to do is install the Powerchurch Program, and install it as a completely new install, with no conversion of old data.

The setup will ask you for your church information and serial number. Enter this data, then let the system create empty data files.

Now is a good time to install any Maintenance Releases necessary, the latest is from October 2008 for version 10.4.

Now once all this is done, do the restore from the backed up data, the system should (if the files are named properly and not corrupted) restore the data without any further intervention.

The program will then reindex the database, and then shut the itself down. When you restart the program, you should then see your data.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CoreOmaha

Post by CoreOmaha »

So... if I changed the name of the file then it won't be able to restore the information?

I reinstalled PC on a new machine as a new install, entered all the information from our account and then started the restore. Are you telling me that if I renamed the file "email_to_doug" then I won't be able to restore my data? :shock:

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CoreOmaha wrote:So... if I changed the name of the file then it won't be able to restore the information?

I reinstalled PC on a new machine as a new install, entered all the information from our account and then started the restore. Are you telling me that if I renamed the file "email_to_doug" then I won't be able to restore my data? :shock:
Correct, the restore program will not recognize the .ZIP file as a backup, and will not display the backup in the restore dialog. After all, in a directory you can have a lot of .ZIP files, none of which is a PCPlus backup.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.