Disappearing Drives

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mwalter

Disappearing Drives

Post by mwalter »

I am a version 9 user. I move backups between the church and my home. A few weeks ago I disconnected my external hard drive from my home computer for a few hours. After reconnecting it Power Church will no longer give me the option of backing up to my external DVD or my jump drives. It also will not give me the option of choosing these drives to restore from. All of the components connect via USB and they all show up in XP as valid drives. Help!!!

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

PowerChurch Plus v9 only supports backing up to "Devices with Removable Storage" and mapped network drives. DVD is not officially supported in v9, even DVD reader+CD-R/RW combo drives are hit and miss. The the DVD drive is not showing up, it is possible that Windows was reporting it as a CD-R/RW previously, now showing DVD. If the USB jump drives are no longer showing up, it is possible that Windows is recognizing them as "Local Disk" drives, rather than removable devices.

Open My Computer and see what groups these devices are sitting in.

PowerChurch Plus version 10 added the ability to backup to a "folder" to work around the unpredictability of removable drives (where sometimes they are recognized as Local Disks) in Windows. DVD burning is also now supported.