Need help merging data on two computers

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

aprilduncan

Need help merging data on two computers

Post by aprilduncan »

I have a small church (50 members). One person keeps all the contribution records on his computer, another person maintains the weekly attendance info, I keep all the Accounting records on another one. It is now beneficial for us to utilize one computer in the church's office for the Contributions and Membership modules. The problem is that the CO information is on a Windows 95 machine that is still running version 8.5. The computer we want to use is a newer Vista and already contains membership data in Powerchurch version 9. I can't upgrade the data to version 9 on the Windows 95 station. I tried to move the 8.5 CO data files over to the Vista machine and that worked ok, but a good bit of the individual contributions information wouldn't come up due to an error when a report was run. I assume this is because the Membership computer doesn't have matching envelope numbers and members to what the old Windows 95 computer had where the contributions was recorded. Is there any way to merge the two without losing the current attendance and contribution information? Do I need to go in and manually make all the envelope numbers match in order for this to work? Thanks for any help you can provide.

NeilZ

Re: Need help merging data on two computers

Post by NeilZ »

aprilduncan wrote:I have a small church (50 members). One person keeps all the contribution records on his computer, another person maintains the weekly attendance info, I keep all the Accounting records on another one. It is now beneficial for us to utilize one computer in the church's office for the Contributions and Membership modules. The problem is that the CO information is on a Windows 95 machine that is still running version 8.5. The computer we want to use is a newer Vista and already contains membership data in Powerchurch version 9. I can't upgrade the data to version 9 on the Windows 95 station. I tried to move the 8.5 CO data files over to the Vista machine and that worked ok, but a good bit of the individual contributions information wouldn't come up due to an error when a report was run. I assume this is because the Membership computer doesn't have matching envelope numbers and members to what the old Windows 95 computer had where the contributions was recorded. Is there any way to merge the two without losing the current attendance and contribution information? Do I need to go in and manually make all the envelope numbers match in order for this to work? Thanks for any help you can provide.

This sounds very familar. See this thread, as I believe the person who started that thread is from your church:

http://www.powerchurch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3246

The thread lists the steps needed to do what you need.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.