Restore Power Church 7.0 data from old computer?

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mlong30

Restore Power Church 7.0 data from old computer?

Post by mlong30 »

Hi All,

We have a small church here in Alabama using Power Church Plus 7.0 on Windows 98 for quite sometime now. We decided to purchase a new computer with Vista because our win98 computer was going bad. I later realized that our secretary didn't backup/restore the files from the win98 computer to the vista computer running Power Church Plus 7.0 and she starting adding new data to the new computer with vista.

My question is how can I sync these two machines up without loosing any data? If I backup and restore from my old win98 computer, will it override, or append to the data I currently have on my vista machine?

Thanks.

Matt

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Unfortunately, the backup & restore utility deal with whole data files, rather than individual records within the data files. If you restore a backup from the old machine, you will lose what information has been entered into the new machine.

You should take a look at some reports from different areas of the program to see how much data entry would be lost. You do have the ability of backing up individual areas of the program (Membership, Contributions, Accounting, etc) so you could restore information from one area and not the other, if you find that would be helpful.

Most likely, though, you will have 10 years or more of data in the old machine that you won't want to lose!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Also ... once you figure out what data you'll have to reenter, do so, then consider moving up to version 10 of Powerchurch, which will give you more capabilities.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.