Moving Funds to Separate Files

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tena20719

Post by tena20719 »

Hi! I would like to separate my fund accounts (01, 02, 03, etc.) into separate files on my computer. For example, I would like to open Power Church and just use it for Fund 01 and then be able to open another Power Church file and just use it for Fund 02, etc. Here are my questions.

#1 - Can I install Power Church onto more than one directory in my computer? I want to be able to change my shortcut keys as well so I will know which fund I am working in.

#2 - Once I do this, can I export just the data from Fund 02 to the new Power Church data location? If so, how do I do this?

#3 - When an upgrade becomes available, will I need to install the update in each of the data locations or will it automatically update all of them?

I am basically wanting to have separate company files instead of separate funds. I would like to add that to a wishlist as well...for Power Church to have the ability to run more than one company at a time.

Thanks for any help!

Tena

NeilZ

Re: Moving Funds to Separate Files

Post by NeilZ »

tena20719 wrote:Hi! I would like to separate my fund accounts (01, 02, 03, etc.) into separate files on my computer. For example, I would like to open Power Church and just use it for Fund 01 and then be able to open another Power Church file and just use it for Fund 02, etc. Here are my questions.

#1 - Can I install Power Church onto more than one directory in my computer? I want to be able to change my shortcut keys as well so I will know which fund I am working in.

#2 - Once I do this, can I export just the data from Fund 02 to the new Power Church data location? If so, how do I do this?

#3 - When an upgrade becomes available, will I need to install the update in each of the data locations or will it automatically update all of them?

I am basically wanting to have separate company files instead of separate funds. I would like to add that to a wishlist as well...for Power Church to have the ability to run more than one company at a time.

Thanks for any help!

Tena
1. You would have to install a FULL version of Powerchurch for each fund. You could not use the same version to access all of them. The reason for that is that Powerchurch expects the database files to be in a subdirectory right under the main Powerchurch directory.

That said, you did not say if you were the only user of Powerchurch, or is the church using it for membership and contributions, which would then cause other issues. Not to mention the need for separate backups, etc.

2. No as the accounting files are all one set of files, you cannot just export or separate out certain files.

3. Yes.

Is there a reason why you cannot setup your funds in one Powerchurch accounting module ?? From the way you talk about 'companies' it sounds like you're familiar with Quickbooks. I use it in my business, and for that it works fine. I don't often say that there's a reason for using a separate accounting system when the one in Powerchurch has been designed for church use from the ground up, in this case you may be better off using Quickbooks even though you'd have to then enter all contributions data manually.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tena20719

Post by tena20719 »

Hi Neil! Thanks for the help. I am very familiar with Quickbooks and I have gone back and forth about trying to decide which program to use. The churches that I currently work for are all using Power Church and there are a lot of advantages to the program but there are also a lot of advantages to Quickbooks.

The reason why I want to split them out is because I am doing the bookkeeping for several churches and I have them set up as separate funds. It is cumbersome to have all the churches in there because they have different accounting items, different members, etc. The reports don't come out with the individual churches name on them either. I have to save it to a Word document and change the name on them. It's just not very user friendly working in my scenario.

That said, the churches really want to stay with Power Church so I am trying to come up with a way to make it work and I thought installing it in different directories just might work better.

I had another quick question. Under Fund Accounting - Export Accounting Data there is an option to export by fund number. I thought this might be a way to export my data over to a new file but I wasn't sure which one of the options in the box to choose (dbase, comma, ascii, etc.). Do you know if this would work and if so, which one I would choose and how I would go about doing it?

My other thought was to back up my power church file, reinstall it in each directory and then delete the funds that I don't want in the new file. Do you think that would work?

Any light that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! :D

NeilZ

Re: Moving Funds to Separate Files

Post by NeilZ »

tena20719 wrote:Hi Neil! Thanks for the help. I am very familiar with Quickbooks and I have gone back and forth about trying to decide which program to use. The churches that I currently work for are all using Power Church and there are a lot of advantages to the program but there are also a lot of advantages to Quickbooks.

The reason why I want to split them out is because I am doing the bookkeeping for several churches and I have them set up as separate funds. It is cumbersome to have all the churches in there because they have different accounting items, different members, etc. The reports don't come out with the individual churches name on them either. I have to save it to a Word document and change the name on them. It's just not very user friendly working in my scenario.

That said, the churches really want to stay with Power Church so I am trying to come up with a way to make it work and I thought installing it in different directories just might work better.

I had another quick question. Under Fund Accounting - Export Accounting Data there is an option to export by fund number. I thought this might be a way to export my data over to a new file but I wasn't sure which one of the options in the box to choose (dbase, comma, ascii, etc.). Do you know if this would work and if so, which one I would choose and how I would go about doing it?

My other thought was to back up my power church file, reinstall it in each directory and then delete the funds that I don't want in the new file. Do you think that would work?

Any light that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much! :D
Aha ... I now see what you're doing.

I do believe the export function is only for exporting and there is no way to import that data.

I am guessing here that you only do the accounting, and nothing else. Each church maintains their own database at the church, and all you do is accept the contributions data through a file, and do any other deposits and stuff through accounting.

In this case, what you suggest is a good idea. Here is what I see as the steps:

1. Backup the current accounting files in your current Powerchurch directory. I would then change the Powerchurch icon to read the name of one of the churches you do work for.

2. Take the Powerchurch CD and then do a new install for the next church. The setup program will allow you to change the directory to a new name, in this case, I'd name it something like PCP-1stChurch, PCP-2ndChurch, etc. something like that. I'd then rename the icon created on the desktop, to the name of another church.

3. I'd then click the new icon to start up powerchurch. I wouldn't try an 'update file' as it probably won't work since you're on the same version. I'd enter the data manually (Church name, address, Powerchurch serial number), then let the system install the basic files. Once its done, and I believe you'll have to restart the program, import the accounting data. You should then be able to delete those funds you no longer need. Remember however, you'll probably have to close out transactions, balance accounts, etc before you can delete a fund. I also believe at this time you can go into the administration and update the church name, etc.

4. Repeat as necessary.

I fully suspect that one of the Powerchurch guys or gals will be by to review my thoughts, and they may have some corrections or changes.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.