Editing Education Library database file

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ewick86

Editing Education Library database file

Post by ewick86 »

Hey,
I understand that your not able to import a library database into power church. Although this is disappointing, I'm wondering if there is a way to edit the database file (independent form power church) in a way that we can add the books that way.

What is the name of the database file where the Education library is stored?

Is it possible to edit it without corrupting power church?

-Ewick86

ewick86

Importing Library material

Post by ewick86 »

Hey guys,
I figured out how to import our library catalog into Power Church. This is probably a non-conventional way, but still worked fine for me.

If you make a backup of the "Record Keeping" information in power church and open the zipped file, you can edit the .dbf files with a dbf editor. The file for the Education Library is "ED.DBF"

After you have edited and put in your book titles, subjects, and all that jazz you simply repackage the file and do a restore of that file.

It's just that easy...

Hope you enjoy the tips. I'm guessing this would work with pretty much any other database in Power Church.

Does anyone know how to connect a bar code scanner to the library catalog?

- Ewick86

PS gotta love databases.

NeilZ

Re: Importing Library material

Post by NeilZ »

ewick86 wrote:Hey guys,
I figured out how to import our library catalog into Power Church. This is probably a non-conventional way, but still worked fine for me.

If you make a backup of the "Record Keeping" information in power church and open the zipped file, you can edit the .dbf files with a dbf editor. The file for the Education Library is "ED.DBF"

After you have edited and put in your book titles, subjects, and all that jazz you simply repackage the file and do a restore of that file.

It's just that easy...

Hope you enjoy the tips. I'm guessing this would work with pretty much any other database in Power Church.

Does anyone know how to connect a bar code scanner to the library catalog?

- Ewick86

PS gotta love databases.
FWIW ... while this may work in some areas, I would not try this in any of the 'non-recordkeeping' areas, as there may be some programmatic edits that could cause problems if the data were not edited or formed properly.

As far as a bar code scanner, there is no programmatic way to do that in Powerchurch. What we did at my last church was get a separate program for the library that was written from the bottom up for library usage.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Kristi

Re: Editing Education Library database file

Post by Kristi »

Neil,
Can you give me a website or the title for the library software your church uses?
Thank you Kristi
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

NeilZ

Re: Editing Education Library database file

Post by NeilZ »

Kristi wrote:Neil,
Can you give me a website or the title for the library software your church uses?
Thank you Kristi
Kristi,

Its been a while since I was at that last church, but I believe it was Resourcemate, I did a search and you can find out more at www.resourcemate.com
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.