PowerChurch V9 Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

pudgyswede

PowerChurch V9 Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

Post by pudgyswede »

I just installed an external hard drive connected to a USB port. The drive works fine with all my applications except PowerChurch V9. I would like to use this drive to backup and restore PowerChurch data. When I use the Backup or Restore functions in PowerChurch I do not find my new external hard drive which is my F: Drive listed. How can I get PowerChurch to recognize my external hard drive so that it appears on the dropdown lists in the Backup and Restore functions.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

NeilZ

Re: PowerChurch V9 Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

Post by NeilZ »

pudgyswede wrote:I just installed an external hard drive connected to a USB port. The drive works fine with all my applications except PowerChurch V9. I would like to use this drive to backup and restore PowerChurch data. When I use the Backup or Restore functions in PowerChurch I do not find my new external hard drive which is my F: Drive listed. How can I get PowerChurch to recognize my external hard drive so that it appears on the dropdown lists in the Backup and Restore functions.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

A few questions:

Do you have the latest v9 Maintenance Release (10/17/08) installed?
What version of Windows are you running?
Is the drive directly attached to the computer, or is it on a network?
Is the drive recognized by the system prior to starting up Powerchurch?

URP:

After writing the above, I did another search and found this, it appears that there is a limitation in V9.:
PowerChurch Plus v9 only supports backing up to "Devices with Removable Storage" and mapped network drives. DVD is not officially supported in v9, even DVD reader+CD-R/RW combo drives are hit and miss. The the DVD drive is not showing up, it is possible that Windows was reporting it as a CD-R/RW previously, now showing DVD. If the USB jump drives are no longer showing up, it is possible that Windows is recognizing them as "Local Disk" drives, rather than removable devices.

Open My Computer and see what groups these devices are sitting in.

PowerChurch Plus version 10 added the ability to backup to a "folder" to work around the unpredictability of removable drives (where sometimes they are recognized as Local Disks) in Windows. DVD burning is also now supported.
Based on what you wrote, the drive is recognized as a local drive, and thus not suitable for backup. Now if this drive were installed on another computer on the network and shared, it would be usable for backup.

My suggestion, put the drive on another networked computer (if possible) and use it across the network.

Or, upgrade to Version 10.4, there's a lot of new functionality that makes it completely worth the upgrade.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

pudgyswede

Post by pudgyswede »

Thanks for the extremely timely response. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but I sorta thought this might be the problem. Will be upgrading to Version 10 soon so look forward to the improved capabilities.