Backup to memory stick

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jimaharri

Backup to memory stick

Post by jimaharri »

We have 10.4 with latest maint release. When using one particular memory stick to backup, we get message: "dynazip zip error, could not create output file." Any ideas of what would be causing this? Other files have been placed on the stick. Thank you

NeilZ

Re: Backup to memory stick

Post by NeilZ »

jimaharri wrote:We have 10.4 with latest maint release. When using one particular memory stick to backup, we get message: "dynazip zip error, could not create output file." Any ideas of what would be causing this? Other files have been placed on the stick. Thank you
The problem with some memory sticks (USB thumb drive, flash drive, jump drive, etc) is that not all are configured as <i>Removable Drives</i>, if the firmware of the thumb drive does not identify the device as removable, there have been problems with backups.

I'm not sure if that's the case here, but since other thumb drives seem to work for you, I'd just use the others and mark this one as not for direct Powerchurch backups.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

could not create output file
Some memory stick have a switch that keeps you from changing the contents. Makes sure that it is switched into a writable mode.

William Chess

Re: Backup to memory stick

Post by William Chess »

I have found that memory sticks have a limited number of backups before the directory list becomes overloaded. Simply create a new directory on the stick and transfer all your backups to it. Then you can make more backups to the stick. To access the old backups select the "folder" option and locate the folder you made.
Bill Chess, Treasurer, Nature Coast Unitarian Universalists