Moving PowerChurch Database

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mwsuitt

Moving PowerChurch Database

Post by mwsuitt »

New to the forum, glad to have found it.

I have a project to move our PowerChurch database from one of our local PCs to our network server. Will this be simply a matter of moving the files and re-mapping to the database from each of the PCs, or will I need to take extra steps to move the database to our server?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Moving PowerChurch Database

Post by Zorak »

It's a good idea to do the following:

Install the program from CD on the new machine, then install the latest Maintenance Release, then restore a backup into PowerChurch Plus created on the old machine. This will ensure that everything is where it needs to be and is up to date.

Be sure to follow the steps listed in the Knowledge Base article below for networking the program. For example, it states that you should share and map the "PowerChurch" directory, not the "PCPLUS10" directory. The difference from one to the next actually does affect program performance and stability. Also, it will be easier to manage newer versions as they are installed. You won't have to map a new drive.

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/answ ... icle_id=33

mwsuitt

Post by mwsuitt »

Thank you, Zorak for your help.

This is a problem I inherited, but it appears that the program is already networked. The problem being that the database is stored on the secretary's PC, and we need to move it to the server.

After copying the "PowerChurch" directory to the server, can the path simply be changed on the individual PCs? (i.e. the path displayed on the information tab shown in your link to the data and program)

I apologize for my ignorance. This is something I've volunteered myself for to help out my church, and I want to try to be prepared for the worst.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The process will be exactly the same whether it is currently networked or not.

The only difference is, each of the workstations are probably mapped to the secretary's computer, rather than the server. You can insert an extra step at each workstation and "Disconnect network drive" before you "Map a network drive" in step 5 in the article I referenced earlier.

Once you have moved the data and installation to the server, then verified that everything is good on the new installation, be sure to remove it from the secretary's computer, so you don't end up with one person left working in the old installation and everyone else on the new installation.