Automatic calendar export

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jmichell

Automatic calendar export

Post by jmichell »

Hi all.
I would like to have our church's calendar on the website, updated at 5 pm each day.
I can see how to use the export function in the Events module, but I don't know how to automate it. I'm guessing I would need to create an automated task in Windows that would
* run a Foxpro query to export the Calendar
* run an FTP session to update the file created to the website files area on our ISP
Has anyone done this, or accomplished what I want in some other way? Would you be willing to let us know what you did and how you did it?
Thanks.
John
John Michell
Unitarian Church of Calgary

NeilZ

Re: Automatic calendar export

Post by NeilZ »

jmichell wrote:Hi all.
I would like to have our church's calendar on the website, updated at 5 pm each day.
I can see how to use the export function in the Events module, but I don't know how to automate it. I'm guessing I would need to create an automated task in Windows that would
* run a Foxpro query to export the Calendar
* run an FTP session to update the file created to the website files area on our ISP
Has anyone done this, or accomplished what I want in some other way? Would you be willing to let us know what you did and how you did it?
Thanks.
John
FWIWv... one of the new featured supposedly coming out in v11 (I've not seen it yet in the beta) is an export feature to Google calendars. Having an automatic export and upload would be an interesting added feature.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Version 11 will have an export to google calendar. The code is finished, but has not been released yet. (We have really broke some other areas of the program that we are putting back together.)

The google export has a seperate EXE that can be scheduled using the windows to automatically update google.

jmichell

Post by jmichell »

Well the Google export is cool, of course, but I want the church calendar on the website.
An exe that we could run in a scheduled task to create the HTML for the calendar would be great.
John
John Michell
Unitarian Church of Calgary

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Google provides a way that you can embed their calendar into your website. Google calendar provides much more functionality than the HTML export from PowerChurch.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

There is also the issue of stylesheets in the HTML calendar from PowerChurch Plus. Even if the export and upload to your site was automated, any reference to internal or external stylesheets would be overwritten when the new file was uploaded.