Upgrade from version 8.5 to version 11

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

shbc19315

Upgrade from version 8.5 to version 11

Post by shbc19315 »

Hello,
Is it possible to upgrade from version 8.5 to version 11? Will my backup files be compatible with version 11?

NeilZ

Re: Upgrade from version 8.5 to version 11

Post by NeilZ »

shbc19315 wrote:Hello,
Is it possible to upgrade from version 8.5 to version 11? Will my backup files be compatible with version 11?
You can upgrade directly to version 11 (even from version 7, I believe), but the backups will not be compatible. Each version has database changes that make the use of prior backups impossible.

That said, you can keep v8.5 and v11 on the same system so you can have access to those older backups if needed.

The only thing I suggest is that if you have Powerchurch networked, I would make sure that all access to 8.5 be cutoff from everyone except the System Administrator. The easiest way to do this is remove the sharing permissions on the server's version 8.5 directory. Then I'd go around and using the 'Add/Remove Programs' applet in the Control Panel, remove the 8.5 runtime from all clients.

However, don't let this keep you from upgrading to version 11. All the intermediate versions (9 & 10) added some great functionality, and version 11 continued that trend. You'll find that many of your normal activities have been made easier, and faster.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

I would add one thing to what Neil posted. If you are using the payroll module, V11 has a major change to that module. You will need to do some advance reading before you transition to it. Once you understand the changes I think you will find it to be a great improvement over the older version. Pension - 403 (b) - deductions are handled differently, there is the capability of tracking vacation - sick time - etc, just to name a few.

You are going to find a lot of great improvements from your current version.
Tom

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Just for the record the version 11 conversion routine works back to version 4.3 which was released in 1990. You will still have some issues after converting because the first version that was Y2K ready was version 6.2.