Backup

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Chiugo

Backup

Post by Chiugo »

hello,
Help me!! I have inherited a big problem.

i have different back up from different computer and i am trying to merge them together into one computer (a server). How do I merge it without over writing it?
He that is in me is greater than he who is in the world!

NeilZ

Re: Backup

Post by NeilZ »

Chiugo wrote:hello,
Help me!! I have inherited a big problem.

i have different back up from different computer and i am trying to merge them together into one computer (a server). How do I merge it without over writing it?
You have a big problem, there really isn't a good way to do this. Exactly what are you trying to merge? Membership ?? Accounting ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Chiugo

Post by Chiugo »

ummm did you say big problem.
i am trying to merge the accounting and membership ?
lord help me !!!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Chiugo wrote:ummm did you say big problem.
i am trying to merge the accounting and membership ?
lord help me !!!
Then its not as big a problem as you think. I'm going to assume that by accounting database you mean the FUNDS ACCOUNTING database, not the contributions database.

The Funds Accounting database (Funds Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, & Payroll) is completely separate from the Membership and Contributions databases.

I'm going to assume that you are planning to network the one database going forward after this. I'm going to give you an idea of how to move everything to a third computer. That said, you can do these steps even if you're going to use one or the other current computers as the server.

1. take a Complete backup of the computer with the membership and contributions database.
2. On the computer with the accounting files, take a backup of only the accounting files.
3. If you already have Powerchurch installed, bypass this step. Install Powerchurch on the server, when you start up the program do NOT migrate from an earlier version, enter your Current Registration Number, and church data. Allow the system to create the basic database tables.
4. Now Restore the Full Backup taken in step 1. This will restore all the databases to the new machine. I would do this even if you're using an existing computer as the server.
5. Now Restore the accounting database taken in step2 to this server machine.

This will merge the two databases into one. Now take a FULL BACKUP of the restored system, and use that going forward.

Now, follow this Knowledge Base article to setup a networked drive, and install Powerchurch on the client:
http://powerchurch.com/support/kb/kbvie ... icle_id=33

Hope this helps.
Uninstall Powerchurch from the old client computer, you want to remove this program so that it is not used accidentally. You also want to delete the POWERCHURCH directory on this computer. This will eliminate all old files.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Chiugo

Post by Chiugo »

i need to move the contribuation database.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Chiugo wrote:i need to move the contribuation database.
OK ... then there's a different problem, and a different set of questions.

1. Were the Membership databases on the two machines kept up to date, that is, were they both updated with the same information ??

2. If not, which database is more correct ??

My next set of steps will depend on this info.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Chiugo

Post by Chiugo »

they are updated with but differnnt informaiton. example

mr adam info is upto date in computer one, mrs jackson info is upto date in computer two. And now i need to merge them together in one computer.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Chiugo wrote:they are updated with but differnnt informaiton. example

mr adam info is upto date in computer one, mrs jackson info is upto date in computer two. And now i need to merge them together in one computer.
Unfortunately, there is no good way of doing this as the databases cannot be merged in that way. Your best bet is this. I would keep the database that has the contribution and membership data. That one is probably most current as far as for those members and/or visitors who contribute.

Then you're going to have to manually verify each entry to see which has the most current data, and update the computer with the contribution database with that current membership data.

Its going to take some time to do this, but in the end you'll have a single, correct database.

This is the problem with not networking computers for membership and contributions. They get out-of-sync and no one's quite sure which has the most current data.

I wish I could have given you a different answer.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

We also have a Knowledge Base article that discusses this issue and what options are available to you:

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb/k ... icle_id=82

Chiugo

Post by Chiugo »

Wow,
thank you much for your help. i really do appreciate it.
I guess i will start mannully updating the server. it is gonna be a long year :wall: .

thanks again