Emailing group

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ladyofaith

Emailing group

Post by ladyofaith »

I am trying to setup my email and this message appears: A connection to the email server could not be made. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Can anyone help.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Emailing group

Post by Tracy »

These can be caused by local anti-virus/anti-spyware/internet security suites preventing PowerChurch from connecting because of a setting.

The first thing to check is the E-mail settings "Outgoing e-mail server (smtp)" value is named the same as what your provider has given you.

Do you need to use non-standard port (something other than 25)?
Tracy

CCCWPB

Post by CCCWPB »

I am having the same issue. I can't seem to connect when I try and send a group email. I AM successful however when I send an individual email from a personal profile.
Help?

Also, where do I go to set up the calendar settings so I can sync to Google? I added an event and then when I tried to sync, it said I had not input the Google account settings.

Input is appreciated - thanks!

Andrea

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

CCCWPB wrote:Also, where do I go to set up the calendar settings so I can sync to Google? I added an event and then when I tried to sync, it said I had not input the Google account settings.
File > Preferences > Events Setup > Google Calendar tab

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CCCWPB wrote:I am having the same issue. I can't seem to connect when I try and send a group email. I AM successful however when I send an individual email from a personal profile.
Help?

Andrea
Individual emails are not handled directly through Powerchurch, it uses your local email program, probably MS Outlook.

Group emails use the built-in email handler, and the email SMTP settings must be exactly the same as that used on Outlook.

You can find these settings under:

File -> Preferences -> System Setup then look for the Email tab. Enter the data as you have it in Outlook, then click on the Test button to check the connectivity.

Don't forget, you can access the Powerchurch help by pressing the F1 key at any time.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

sherrysuz

Post by sherrysuz »

I am having the same problem emailing a group. An error message "5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first" is received. What does this mean and how do I correct the problem? Thank you for your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

sherrysuz wrote:I am having the same problem emailing a group. An error message "5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first" is received. What does this mean and how do I correct the problem? Thank you for your help.
What this means is that your ISP uses a secure connection for email. This is to protect themselves from SPAMMERS who may try to send email through their servers.

In this case you MUST setup Powerchurch to use the same USERID & Password you use when accessing email through your email program. You must also turn on TLS on the setup page.

To do this you have to have Powerchurch Admin access to the Preferences function located under File. Choose the System Setup then select the Email tab. You'll see a tab screen like this:
email.jpg
I suspect that your email program has a setting for a different SMTP port as you can see on the screen above, on the line Outgoing e-mail server (smtp) at the end of the server entry, a COLON ( : ) was added along with the port that ISP uses, which is here 465. Your ISP may use a different port.

Then make sure that the checkbox for Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication {/i] is checked, and underneath YOU have TLS checked, not SSL as listed here. The Username and password HAS to be the one used for your normal email program.

I would check with your Internet service provider for all the exact email requirements, since I've also found that some ISPs require that a POP request, that is a Check for new email be done before the server will allow outgoing emails. What I've done at one church is have MS Outlook running all the time, as it checks for email every 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.