Event Description Problem?

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

emarino

Event Description Problem?

Post by emarino »

I may have found a problem with the syncing of event descriptions. After running a lot of tests, it looks like the problem manifests in two different ways:
1. If I enter an event with a description and sync the calendar to Google, the description displays fine, but when I change the description in Powerchurch and resync, Google doesn't pick it up. Now if I enter a web override description in PC, Google gets it and any changes I make to it. Finally, if I eliminate in PC the web override description and revert back to the main description, Google will now pick up the change to main description. I know this is weird and it took me a long time to figure out what was going on, but I've tried many times, and it seems to be consistently repeatable.
2. If I enter an event without any descriptions, do the sync, and then go back to PC and update either the main or the web override descriptions, do the sync, they never display. I tried flip-flopping between the two descriptions several times and it made no difference.
I should add that for both situations, I was careful to refresh my Google calendar for each iteration. Perhaps the problem with Google and not PC. Both of these problems can be worked around with a little extra work, but this was really frustrating me until I figured it out. I wonder if anyone has noticed this. Or alternatively, maybe it is working fine for you and I'm doing something wrong.

Ed

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Event Description Problem?

Post by Tracy »

This has been observed here. A Maintenance Release for this problem, and other with Google Calender synchronization is in testing now.
Tracy

emarino

Post by emarino »

Does yesterday's release fix this, or will it be a future release?

thanks,

Ed

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

The Maintenance Release dated 3/25/2010 should fix this. If it does not, make a minor change to either side. This should force it to update.
Tracy

emarino

Post by emarino »

The good news is that the event descriptions and overrides seems to be working fine. The bad news is that the sync program seems to be doing adds and not updates for every event stored in Powerchurch (not just the ones with changed descriptions). For those with changed descriptions, I can run through the dups and see a history of the changes I made. I can clear the Google calendar prior to running the sync, but that's kind of cumbersome.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

If you have not added any of your own events on the Google Calendar directly, there is an option to delete all existing events through the Google Calender settings. If you do delete all the events online, we may need to assist you over the phone to clean up some data in PowerChurch to prevent creating more duplicates.

From our testing, we were stopped creating duplicates with this build. Though, there might be a possibility the first sync may have created some duplicates.
Tracy