Backup is including the Demo

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Backup is including the Demo

Post by John Dykema »

Our backups have always been around 400+ files. Today it is 605 files. I'm noticing that PCDEMO files are also being included. Anyway to exclude them? My pc is networked but the Demo is on my harddrive. I'm running the backup from my pc.
John

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Backup is including the Demo

Post by Tracy »

It sounds like you have additional data files in the PCPLUS11 folder on the network.
What folders do you have in there?
There should only be:
Background
Data
Install
Layout
rpt_cust
rpt_pre
Tracy

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

The backup process will actually grab all files of a certain type from within the program directory.

If you have another installation of PowerChurch Plus (including the demo) inside of your program directory, all the data files will be backed up from both.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

What I would do is delete the Powerchurch Demo and Powerchurch from your local computer, then re-run the netsetup11.exe program from the 'server' to re-network your local computer to the 'server' and its data.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Lnkoop

Post by Lnkoop »

Let me answer Tracy's remarks in the first round..
I wanted to see what's on the server as a starting point. In addition to the ones you listed, I see the PCDEMO11 folder inside the PowerChurch folder. That's why the backup is picking up all those additional files. Shouldn't the Demo be in its own folder?
Note, on my laptop at home there are two folders under Powerchurch:
PCPLUS10 and PCDEMO11.
No problems running a backup of v10 on the laptop.
Did I miss a question during the install of the Demo?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Lnkoop wrote:Let me answer Tracy's remarks in the first round..
I wanted to see what's on the server as a starting point. In addition to the ones you listed, I see the PCDEMO11 folder inside the PowerChurch folder. That's why the backup is picking up all those additional files. Shouldn't the Demo be in its own folder?
Note, on my laptop at home there are two folders under Powerchurch:
PCPLUS10 and PCDEMO11.
No problems running a backup of v10 on the laptop.
Did I miss a question during the install of the Demo?
The issue is if the PCDEMO is located in the same directory as the PCPLUS. the c:\powerchurch directory is the top level, with the PCPLUS10 & PCPLUS11 as separate sub-directories. When they are setup like that, there should not be any issue with backups, as the backup will only do what is in the proper subdirectory.

That is, if you're backing up PCPlus v11, only the files under the c:\powerchurch\PCPLUS11 directory will be picked up for the backup. Same if you're backing up V10.

The way your system has the subdirectories is fine.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

I suspect you have the PCPLUS10 folder on the network shared. We have started to recommend the PowerChurch folder be shared and mapped to. When you installed the demo, you pointed it to the mapped drive, resulting in what you have now.
Tracy

Lnkoop

Post by Lnkoop »

OK, I created a PCPLUS10 folder in c:\powerchurch on the server and moved all the powerchurch (v.10) files into this new folder. I then changed the properties in the startup icon. Tested the server icon. I followed this by going to the desktops and running Netsetup10. All seems fine now.
Thanks for your help, all.