How do I merge two accounting modules?

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

keiary

How do I merge two accounting modules?

Post by keiary »

I recently took over from the former treasurer and noticed that my church has PCP on two separate computers. Both are version 10.4 but I have verion 11, which has not yet been installed. One computer A has the fund balances for a prior year that I would like to bring forward into another year. However, on the other computer B which does not have the beggining balances, some changes were madeto the fund accounting (added new contribution funds to the chart of accounts) and also did some work in the payroll including printing payroll checks. The payroll segment was never used on computer A which has the beginning balances. How do I get the beginning balances into the PCP on computer B on which the recent accounting changes were made? I fear that restoring the accounting data (using the Restore utility of the Accounting module) from computer A to B will cause me to lose the current information. And if I try to restore from B to A, I might lose the beginning balances which I want to start the new year. Please help. Thanks.

NeilZ

Re: How do I merge two accounting modules?

Post by NeilZ »

keiary wrote:I recently took over from the former treasurer and noticed that my church has PCP on two separate computers. Both are version 10.4 but I have verion 11, which has not yet been installed. One computer A has the fund balances for a prior year that I would like to bring forward into another year. However, on the other computer B which does not have the beggining balances, some changes were madeto the fund accounting (added new contribution funds to the chart of accounts) and also did some work in the payroll including printing payroll checks. The payroll segment was never used on computer A which has the beginning balances. How do I get the beginning balances into the PCP on computer B on which the recent accounting changes were made? I fear that restoring the accounting data (using the Restore utility of the Accounting module) from computer A to B will cause me to lose the current information. And if I try to restore from B to A, I might lose the beginning balances which I want to start the new year. Please help. Thanks.

First off, in order for your version 11 to use ANY of the previous accounting data, you're going to have to install it on one of those computers in order to convert the data to the version 11 database. From what it appears you are trying to do, you may have that in mind.

In either case, you are correct, restoring the accounting data from one to the other will overwrite data on the receiving machine.

I would select the one that has most of the current year's transactions, I'm assuming its Computer 'B'. Then I would create transactions to enter the beginning balance. This type of transaction is covered in this Knowledge Base article http://powerchurch.com/support/kb/kbvie ... icle_id=54 which refers to Version 9, but is applicable to all versions from 9 on. The area you want is talking about an incorrect starting balance at the bottom.

Then I would install Version 11 on that computer to convert that data.

Now here's a question, I'm assuming that since everything you talk about appears to be on standalone computers, so there's no network being used, correct ??

My friendly advice is to get one computer setup as the 'server' so that only ONE database is being used and updated by the other clients on the network.

If you can't network the systems, then what are you planning to do as far as backups, restores, etc ?
Last edited by NeilZ on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

keiary

Post by keiary »

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will definitely try this suggestion. I am planning to network the system as you suggested so that the application can be accessed at different client terminals instead of the standalone set-up that doesn't allow the modules to 'talk' to each other. I just want to get one computer correct first, load the application on a network server and then restore the information to the server. I'll reach out after trying your suggestion. Thanks again.

Eden Whitehead

Post by Eden Whitehead »

NeilZ wrote: <text deleted> This type of transaction is covered in this Knowledge Base article http://powerchurch.com/support/kb/kbvie ... cle_id=54, which refers to Version 9, but is applicable to all versions from 9 on. The area you want is talking about an incorrect starting balance at the bottom.
Note that clicking on the link includes the comma at the end of the link, which produces an error. Deleting the comma from the URL on the error message screen gets you to the desired page. (At least, this was my experience. "Results may vary" as I believe I've heard it phrased! :wink: )

Hope this helps.
Eden
*Still* learning... and gratefully so!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Ack .. thanks Eden .. didn't intend to include that. Will edit that link.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

keiary

Post by keiary »

Definitely works without the comma. Thanks guys.