PP7 W98/XP - Can't restore FUNDS info from backup

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RMKennedy9

Post by RMKennedy9 »

I am trying to help someone restore the PowerPlus7 database from a backup file.

I am familiar with Windows and basic database concepts but it is my first time working with
the product.

We moved the PP7 and backup data to a new computer running XP since the original system had disk issues.

I was also able to copy the entire PPlus7 tree from the problem disk onto a CR-ROM. We
copied this data to a unique folder on the XP system so we could examine files and copy
from it if necessary.

We were able to restore most of the data from the last diskette backup, however the FUNDS table appears to be missing.

In normal data entry mode my firiend showed me how the funds table is usually displayed, but now it is empty.

He said there was about 20 or so fund account numbers.

I looked through the files harvested from the failed system and could not see any obvious files related to 'funds', nor could I see any files that were missing.

I have the manual in my hands but haven't read it yet. I had a question about the backup mechanism. My friend explained how he did backups. He ran sever al of the backup choices (all data, etc) and ended up with one ZIP archive. Does the backup utility successively append data to the ZIP when a user clicks the variious choices on the Utility menu? I am concerned that only the 'last' one he picked is in the archive.

I would appreciate your help very much. My friend was quite worried about getting the data back. We feel good that we have the contribution data, but it would be great to recover this
fund table if possible.

Thanks

Rich Kennedy -- aka geek-on-call-for-now
Richard M. Kennedy
IM - RMKennedy9 (Yahoo,AIM,MSN)

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Richard,

What I think you are looking for can be found here:

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/answ ... icle_id=48

My guess is that you want the FAINFO: Fund Accounting information file.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

When backing up to floppy disks, it overwrites the current disks. It does not append files into an existing backup. So the last backup made on those disks will be the only backup there.

In later versions of PC+ you can backup to zip drives and other removable media. In those case it makes another backup (zip) file on the media so you can have multiple backups. When you restore, you are asked which backup you wish to restore from the media.

You say you are missing the fund numbers. I am assuming you are talking about contriution fund numbers. Did you have a problem restoring the backup through the program? If you have contribution data, you should also have contribution fund numbers they are backed up together. The fund numbers are stored in cofund.dbf. You should restore both the cofund.dbf and the cofund.cdx files

RMKennedy9

Post by RMKennedy9 »

Jeff,

Thanks. I realize the floppy gets overwitten. My question was aimed at the various
choices in the UTILITIES-> pull down menu for different backup items. I guess the
recommended procedure it to use All Data... (top menu choice). What happens
when users pick some of the other choices down the list. Is the end result
going to be a file named PCBACKUP in every case?

Regarding fund numbers, there were no errors doing the recovery. We had to
copy the backup archive to a shared folder on the XP system and map it to
drive A: to get PP7 to read it. It read the file and did a resync. No error popups
were posted. (no floppy drive on system)

The next I time I'm on the system, I'll look for the cofund files in the harvested data
directory.

Thanks

Rich
Richard M. Kennedy

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

In version 7 the backup is always named pcbackup. Starting in version 8, the filename is derived from the date/time and the type of backup made.

RMKennedy9

Post by RMKennedy9 »

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I checked the file names with someone over the phone and it looks like none of
those files (cofund.*) are in the backup set nor the copy of the enitire PPlus7/Data
directory. I'll try an entensive search the next time I get on the machine.

I looked through the PPlus7 manual and I'm pretty sure my friend is only using the
simple Contiibutions+Funds features of the product. (The only report he generates
is the final end-of-year giving statements that church members use for IRS.)

I think we may be looking at reconstructing the funds accounts numbers. We puzzle's me
is why I can't find the cofund* files on the copy of the last known working PPlus7
directory tree. My only guess is that it was clobbered when the disk had issues.

Can you tell me if the re-balance mechanism will identify previous links between
contriibutions and fund numbers? If so, this may help us recover the fund info.

Thanks

Rich Kennedy
Richard M. Kennedy