PowerChurch V9--Great backups, but can't backup to HardDisk?

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Zaphod wrote:The discussed feature has been added as of the 10/12/2004 maintenance release.
I quote what I told Jeff in another topic:

" You guys rock ! 8) "
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

gwbowers

Backups. Postprocessing (email the backup elsewhere)

Post by gwbowers »

Here's what I like to do:

Yes, we do offline backups (CD/RW, USB thumbdrive). Those stay with the financial records, for easily-accessible restores.

Then , I go to Outlook express and email a copy of the backup to my email account at home.

-------------------------

I'd like to see an option in choosing backups for a POST-PROCESSING .bsat file. You'd call it, passing in the fully-qualified location of the backup file (and date/time if you'd like).

Then, the user could do anything else they wanted -- make a secondary copy on other media, call a routine to email the contents elsewhere, etc.

Just a thought,--Gary

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Interesting. Definitely send that suggestion to wishlist@powerchurch.com. When the backup/restore function gets rewritten eventually, that may be something development can think about.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

gwbowers

Works great! Opter possible options for 'safe' backup stg

Post by gwbowers »

Thanks for adding those options into the Maintenance Release.

Works GREAT. I added a directory share, and then mapped a drive to the same PC. Zip-zap-boom and the mapped drive pops up in the backup list.

------

So it's on disk as well. We have some extra email accounts with our service. So I just email the .zip file off to one of those email addresses. We don't have a REAL user set up to receive those mails. Then, from ANY PC, I use Internet Explorer and access our provider's Webmail.

Presto. They're all there. Once I'm home I can just download and save it to the USB thubmdrive (which I forgot and left at home).

so for now, I have another always-accessible-for-us "online" backup, by using bellsouth's Webmail.

Thanks again, to the developers.
--Gary

melloby

Backup ?

Post by melloby »

Hi,

I have PCP+ V9, but I can't backup to a flash or USB drive. PCP+ v9 only allows backup to floppy and CD.

Does anyone backup to a flash drive? and if you do how do I?

NeilZ

Re: Backup ?

Post by NeilZ »

melloby wrote:Hi,

I have PCP+ V9, but I can't backup to a flash or USB drive. PCP+ v9 only allows backup to floppy and CD.

Does anyone backup to a flash drive? and if you do how do I?
You can backup to any USB enabled exterior drive. You must have the USB device installed prior to opening PC+, and Windows must have recognized the device as being available. You should check My Computer to see if the system has recognized the USB device as a drive. It should be shown with a drive letter assigned..

FWIW ... this has worked for V8.5 also.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

Neil,

I have a 32MB USB Thumbdrive which appears in Windows Explorer as a FlashDrive. On my Windows 2000 workstation, I can not back up to it. Visual FoxPro reports it as a Non-Removable hard drive. I also have a memory card reader attached, I can however back up to a memory stick. One difference I have noticed; In Windows Explorer (My Computer) right click on the drive. When the drive has an eject option (CD drives aside) it reports back as one of the following: Floppy disk, Removable drive, Network drive, or RAM disk. Network drive types might have a disconnect option instead of an eject option. <smile>

So the short of it, Sometimes the Windows Operation System does not correctly register USB drives as removable. For some USB devices a special driver may be required.
Tracy

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tracy wrote:Neil,

I have a 32MB USB Thumbdrive which appears in Windows Explorer as a FlashDrive. On my Windows 2000 workstation, I can not back up to it. Visual FoxPro reports it as a Non-Removable hard drive. I also have a memory card reader attached, I can however back up to a memory stick. One difference I have noticed; In Windows Explorer (My Computer) right click on the drive. When the drive has an eject option (CD drives aside) it reports back as one of the following: Floppy disk, Removable drive, Network drive, or RAM disk. Network drive types might have a disconnect option instead of an eject option. <smile>

So the short of it, Sometimes the Windows Operation System does not correctly register USB drives as removable. For some USB devices a special driver may be required.
I totally agree .. which is why I did say that it should be recognized as a USB exterior drive. I should have identified it as removable instead ... !!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.