Computers in 2 different sites

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NeilZ

Re: Computers in 2 different sites

Post by NeilZ »

Lee tabylee wrote:Hi,

I have bought PC program last March, 2010. I will be using it this week and start withe membership module.
I will be doing the database at my house. I am not working full time at church. I am the deacon assigned to start the ball rolling. I am unable to do it at church office computer network because of nature of my job.

My question is if I have encode family and personal profile, and proceed to attendance and visitation. I would like to have copy install to the computer of our senior and youth pastors (so 2 computers laocated at church), so they may have access to the database.

So I have to install the PC to their computers including the backups. Is that the way to do it?
Then if update my data and add visitation and attendance records, I am thinking of sending them the backups via email.
Evidently you entered this twice, so I'll reply here.

The steps are as follows:

1. Install Powerchurch to the computers at church. If they are networked, you only have to install it fully on one computer and use it as the server, and the other as the client. In this way you only have to worry about updating one database. The instructions to how to network are located on page 4 of the Powerchurch Manual, or at this link: http://powerchurch.com/support/kb/kbvie ... icle_id=33

2. Make a backup of the data on your computer, and restore it to the computer used as the server at church, or to both computers if you do not have a network. That's for the initial database install.

The problem is, if they make changes on their database, and you send them a new backup with all the membership data, you will overwrite their changes, which may be more up-to-date than what you have on your copy of the database.

Considering that the attendance data is part of the Membership Files backup, you will run into this problem eventually. The only way around this is to setup Powerchurch at church so that the pastors cannot update any of the membership data, thus you won't be overwriting anything.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.