Equipment Inventory: Problem in Cost & Value Fields

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jeffkoke

Equipment Inventory: Problem in Cost & Value Fields

Post by jeffkoke »

Using v9 with most current maintenance release.

When entering a new item into equipment inventory and tabbing down to the Cost and Value fields, I ran into a nuisance.

As the cursor is sitting in the Cost field, I enter a number to indicate a dollar value of $150 and then press TAB to move to the Value field. The number displayed in the Cost field is $1500.

If the cursor is sitting in either the Cost or Value fields, the default "0" is not visible. However, if I press the END button it becomes visible.

If you can replicate this problem, can it be fixed in a near term maintenance release?

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

NeilZ

Re: Equipment Inventory: Problem in Cost & Value Fields

Post by NeilZ »

jeffkoke wrote:Using v9 with most current maintenance release.

When entering a new item into equipment inventory and tabbing down to the Cost and Value fields, I ran into a nuisance.

As the cursor is sitting in the Cost field, I enter a number to indicate a dollar value of $150 and then press TAB to move to the Value field. The number displayed in the Cost field is $1500.

If the cursor is sitting in either the Cost or Value fields, the default "0" is not visible. However, if I press the END button it becomes visible.

If you can replicate this problem, can it be fixed in a near term maintenance release?

AdvanceThanks,
Jeff
Sounds like the same issue we were having in contributions, the entry block prefills with a zero, but upon entry the zero is not overwritten,.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Re: Equipment Inventory: Problem in Cost & Value Fields

Post by jeffkoke »

NeilZ wrote: Sounds like the same issue we were having in contributions, the entry block prefills with a zero, but upon entry the zero is not overwritten,.
Yes, however the zero is unseen until an entry is made in the field.

The way it is now, you can't breeze through any data entry since you have to go back and fix the appended zero twice per item.

Make sense?

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

I see what you are talking about. I'll go and set those fields up to select everything when you TAB into the field. If you click into it, the cursor will goto the beginning of the field.

While I'm at it, I'll do the same for the Quantity field.

What impact do you ,as the user, see if the functionality of selecting all data was on all numeric type fields? Would this cause problems in other areas? Understand, clicking into the field will not highlight everything, the data entry person will need to TAB into the field.
Tracy

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tracy wrote:I see what you are talking about. I'll go and set those fields up to select everything when you TAB into the field. If you click into it, the cursor will goto the beginning of the field.

While I'm at it, I'll do the same for the Quantity field.

What impact do you ,as the user, see if the functionality of selecting all data was on all numeric type fields? Would this cause problems in other areas? Understand, clicking into the field will not highlight everything, the data entry person will need to TAB into the field.
For numeric entry, it would solve alot of issues. Not sure where it would affect other areas, excepting in membership/personal profiles where you enter a number for the envelope. Accounting modules would be affected, I would assume, but I think the same applies, numeric entry would be simplified.

As far as TABing into the field, I would also assume that hiting the enter key would work the same as it does now for contributions and other numeric entries, correct ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Tracy wrote:I see what you are talking about. I'll go and set those fields up to select everything when you TAB into the field. If you click into it, the cursor will goto the beginning of the field.

Tracy,

Great!! When TABed to a field, selecting all data within that field will help tremendously.

Question: Where is the cursor postioned when you click in? All the way to the right or left? I'd prefer it to be all the way to the right, so that if it is zero filled, it will be of no effect when I enter something greater than zero.

Thanks for the rapid response!

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

NeilZ wrote:As far as TABing into the field, I would also assume that hiting the enter key would work the same as it does now for contributions and other numeric entries, correct ??
ENTER works the same as the TAB. This means when I change the behavior for TAB the ENTER behavior changes too.
jeffkoke wrote:Where is the cursor postioned when you click in? All the way to the right or left? I'd prefer it to be all the way to the right, so that if it is zero filled, it will be of no effect when I enter something greater than zero.
To the left. I think it would be confusing if a user clicked in one field and it went to the right side, and another and it went to the left side. However, I'll discuss it with others here.
Tracy