Idea for Record Keeping: Maintenance Log

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

BrianShoe

Idea for Record Keeping: Maintenance Log

Post by BrianShoe »

Before I submit this to the WishList, I'd like to see whether the other PC+ gurus think it would be useful.

Our B&G chair was quite eager to meet with me and see the Equipment Inventory module. However, when we actually walked through the function, I learned that she was REALLY after what I'll call a "Maintenance Log" - a place to record the date, physical section (vestibule, sanctuary, loft, classroom wing, parish hall, kitchen), item repaired or replaced (windows, roof, plaster, boiler or furnace, light fixtures, stove), cost of the work done, contractor who did the work. Probably a few other bits of information as well. In time, this history could (we hope!) help us predict when a big-ticket item will next need to be repaired/replaced.

How does this concept strike other PC+ power users? Do you think your B&G committees would use such a module?

Brian Shoemaker
First Parish Unitarian Universalist, Canton MA
Unofficial PowerChurch application support

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

The equipment inventory module is probably the least robust part of PC. I have been using it for a couple of years now and I consider it pretty much a stand-alone feature.

That said, I'd like to see it expanded so that it can be tied into the chart of accounts as an asset.

A building maintenance log would be an interesting feature that I would support.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Ditto ... right now its all paper and pencil, and trying to remember where the log is, and then trying to insure the next Elder for facilities knows how to use it, ....... etc ..... etc
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

foxygramps

Post by foxygramps »

Why not just setup a spreadsheet in Excel to track the Maintenance items?

If you don't have Excel then I suggest you download totally FREE Open Office. Its got all the things that MS Office has, plus it can open any version of MS Office files, Spreadsheets, Documents, Images, HTML, Starwriter, Lotus 123, and many other types of files.

I admit that its a little slower than MS to open, but that's so minor compared to the benefits that it should be no problen.

Try it, you will not only like it, you will love it.
You could even dump your MS Office and just use OpenOffice.

GeorgeH

Post by GeorgeH »

I believe that this is a great idea as a step in continuing to enhance the PowerChurch Software. As the new Superintendent of Facilites for our church I have found that relatively no record keeping system was in place for Grounds and Facilities Service and Maintenance so it will be one of my first priority tasks to anylize the needs of the church in those areas, create the various programs necessary to maintain the facilities and assure that the various legal codes are being met and exceeded where possible, and then implement them, individually, according to priority and time.

It would have been so much easier and quicker had there already been a module for these items incorporated with PowerChurch so that the criteria, details, and scheduling could have simply been input into the system and then the system then could be used for a central information and schedule repository, perhaps even with reminders*, thus freeing up countless hours of manpower in doing it manually. After all we should all ask ourselves "...to what lengths are we willing to go to protect, maintain and enhance our multi-million dollar facilities?" Well, the answer is relatively simple..."As far and as long as necessary according to the length of time you want to keep it!

I would further suggest a Programs and Events Module, where logistics for each individual program and event could be entered for planning and record keeping, including graphic design capabilities for event and program room layouts relative to the many necessary items required or requested for the specific event or program such as number of rooms, chairs and/or tables for each, media equipement, etc, etc, etc. This seemingly could easily be incorporated using, in part, the rental modules; or at least somehow associated with it for further record and accounting integration.

A workable program that allows for the users' specifications in a customizable application would be priceless in this arena; particularly where manpower is at bare minimum levels; not to even mention that the labor criteria could also be tracked in accordance with these fields, not only allowing for ease in analysis but also record keeping for all concerned. After all, after the primary responsibility of reaching out to others, there are the many fundamental necessities requried to allow it all to happen in the first place. End users at many levels could benefit from this, not to mention the administrators who could easily see what is happening at the facilites on various levels simply by bringing up a variety of forms and reports instead of having to ask each ministry individually in multiple and time consuming meetings and phone calls, emails, and other various correspondence. What a time, effort and money saver all around this would be, freeing up the ministry leaders to get on with the more important tasks at hand according to their particular calling or area of service.

...Amen...
GeorgeH

jcespinosa

PW Record Keeping Additions ... Usefull?

Post by jcespinosa »

I am new to this forum, and PC, but would like to see these items implimented. I use the inventory feature extensively, and would like to see it expanded to include more detail as suggested in the original post. Additional information and detail fields, and logs showing when assets have been purchased, used, and subsequently 'passed on' , would greatly enhance control and planning...especially for purchaseing and tracking. This would help to determine what assets are currently available, (or in use) and what condition thay are in!

God Bless..thanks
Jose C Espinosa

John Dykema

Notes field in Equipment Inventory module.

Post by John Dykema »

Hi, I've been using Quicken Home Inventory just for the fact that it works best for me. What Quicken has over PC+'s program is that Quicken has a NOTES field. That is very important to me for this app. I was hoping that v10 would have that upgrade. I just got v10 yesterday and I was quite disappointed that nothing has changed from v8.5.

PowerChurch, do you read me here? How can we get a notes field (paragraph style) into Equip Inventory?
John

gbstark

Right On For A Maintenance Log

Post by gbstark »

I absoulutely agree that a maintenance log that permits not only logging of actions taken but could also trigger Maintainance PM's that maybe due!

jstark

Re: Idea for Record Keeping: Maintenance Log

Post by jstark »

Untill PC+ developes a Maintenence Planning module, I have discovered a company that has a self contained application that uses MS Axcess as the database platform. For non profits (Churches) they only charge a annual tech support and provide you the application without charge. I have taught maintenence planning including preventative maintenance and find this software to be fantastic. It allows you to track equip by work order, location, warrantey expiration as well as by. It also will generated PM work orders based on Time or readings. I will forward contact info to anyone who is interested.