Moving to new server checklist

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

DonInOmaha

Moving to new server checklist

Post by DonInOmaha »

One server, 2 PC's mapped to the server. Migrating to new server. Here is my checklist for getting this done.

1. Upgrade the version of Powerchurch on the current server to the most recent version.
2. Perform a "system backup" from within the Powerchurch application.
3. Move the "system backup" files to the new server.
4. Install the most recent version of Powerchurch on the new server.
5. Select "restore from backup" on the new server, and restore from the backup files from step 3. Make sure it runs fine locally on the server.
6. On PC #1, map a network drive to the 'Powerchurch' directory on the new server.
7. Upgrade the Powerchurch software on PC #1 to the newest version, and run NetSetupxx to map the data directory to the drive from step 6.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 on PC #2.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you,
Don in Omaha

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Moving to new server checklist

Post by Zorak »

The actual software does not get installed on the workstations. It only resides on the server. So, step 7 should be:

7. Run NetSetupxx to map the data directory to the drive from step 6.

DonInOmaha

Post by DonInOmaha »

Thank you for the response.

The NetSetup has always confounded me. To run NetSetup, does the .exe exist locally on the PC, or on the server, but ran remotely.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Once you map the drive in Step 6, browse out across the mapped network drive and you will see the Netsetup program in the shared \PowerChurch\PCPLUSxx directory on the server/host computer.

Sorry... Short answer is it's on the server.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Let me add one more thing, disconnect the old Powerchurch mapped drives from the two Client computers.

In this way, no one could 'accidentally' access the old installation and enter data.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

DonInOmaha

Post by DonInOmaha »

Zorak,

I upgraded the server to 11.1, 4/25/2011, everything runs fine locally. Ran NetSetup11 fine from the remote PC, and now get an error message " Setting the file date/time failed. Access is denied" right after signing in. After that, everything appears to work OK on the remote client.

Is there any additional steps I need to do?

Thank you,
Don

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

That message indicates that the current Windows user does not have proper permissions.

Try running the Netsetup program from the workstation "as administrator" (right click on the program instead of double clicking)