Default drive for backup/restore

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

foxygramps

Default drive for backup/restore

Post by foxygramps »

Is it possible to make the default drive user selectable, and locked for each computer Power Church is used on.
For example, our bookkeeping computer used only for accounting, has a R/W CD, no zip drive. We would default that to the cd R/W drive letter.
The Church office computer, used only for membership and cantributions, has a CD read and a Zip drive. We would default that one to the Zip drive letter.
At home where I keep backups of all data, I have both CD R/W and a zip drive.
Hardly anyone backs up to floppy any more, and most new computers no longer have an 'A' floppy drive.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

If you haven't already, definitely send that suggestion to wishlist@powerchurch.com.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

lincolnda

Post by lincolnda »

I have found it convenient to use F12 to build keyboard macros to automate backing up, verifying backups, and restoring backups, which I do a lot to transfer files between Church and home computers. You can make your macros select which type of files to backup (accounting, contrib, or membership, etc, and select which drive will be used, stopping the macro at the point where the 'finish' button is outlined, so you can at least check that you selected the correct macro for the job you wanted to do before hitting the enter button to complete the job. You can't build your macros by mouse points and clicks, but by navigating with the arrow keys, tab key, and enter key. Just be careful not to assign ALT-U to one of your macros, as doing so would disable ALT-U from being a startout command to get to Utility menu from which you can continue building your backup macros.

foxygramps

Post by foxygramps »

Seems like a lot of work when all I want is to move the 'A' default to the bottom of the list.

lincolnda

Post by lincolnda »

Yes, setting up the macros is a little work, but once they are recorded, you have only a couple keystrokes to do the whole job of whatever type backup job you want, which for me saves more effort than if the default drive was was the preferred one, but still had to go through all the steps to get there without a macro.