Backup files not deleted from temp directory

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

lincolnda

Backup files not deleted from temp directory

Post by lincolnda »

I have noticed that on my computer running under Win98SE that backup files keep accumulating in the c:\windows\temp directory. If I open the directory with explorer, and then do a backup in PC Plus 9.0, I can see a file is generated there named BACKUPxxxxxx.zip just before the data is written to CD drive. After the backup has finished, that file in the temp directory is not automatically deleted. I had accumulated quite a few of these by the time I discovered it, and now I know I need to keep going back to delete these unneeded files. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just a quirk going on in my computer? This does not seem to happen on the Windows XP system at church, so was wondering why the difference. If tech support still has win98 machines, maybe someone there can see if they can duplicate this. Thanks

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Hmmm...interesting. I'm going to claim that this is a beta implementation of the heavily requested feature: backing up to your hard drive. :lol:

Ok, seriously, as far as I know that should be deleting the temp files after they're burned to CD. Given that there are no file permissions in 98 like there are in XP, I would expect that to be the other way around.

We do have test machines with win98 on them. We'll take a look and see if we can duplicate this.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Ok, we've been able to duplicate this, and I've written it up as a bug. It should be remedied in a future maintenance release. Thanks!

In the meantime, just consider it a redundant backup scheme.

I'm moving this topic to the Utilities forum in case someone else has the same problem.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Zaphod wrote:In the meantime, just consider it a redundant backup scheme.

I'm moving this topic to the Utilities forum in case someone else has the same problem.
Just file it in the department of redundancy department! :lol:
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

lincolnda

Post by lincolnda »

I have found where these backup files are accumulating on a Windows XP machine. It is in the c:\documents and settings\your login\local settings\temp directory. So it does happen in both operating sytems. By the way the format of the file name is PCBACKUP_YYYYMMDD_HHMMxxx.Zip, where denotes what type data files are being backed up, just in case anyone is looking for them on their machine.