Things Just Got Better!

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Kevin Kelly

Things Just Got Better!

Post by Kevin Kelly »

We didn’t create a backup in ChurchPowerPlus, but we did do a complete computer backup (about 12 CD’s) a week ago and Carbonite (online storage/backup site that can take up to two or three days to do the initial computer backup) scans our system and saves newly created data every hour. It took 2 days to restore our information saved in Carbonite. Well once the restore was complete guess what was missing? Everything in ChurchPowerPlus. 30 years of membership information gone, tithes dating back several years, gone. Tithe information is no big deal because we save tithing envelopes for a period of seven years. 30 years of membership information is a HUGE problem. Our membership records are tied to contributions via envelope numbers. I contacted ChurchPowerPlus and was told that Carbonite sometimes corrupts ChurchPowerPlus data, but since we don’t pay for ChurchPowerPlus tech support, the representative couldn’t go into other details unless we paid a fee. Now PowerChurchPlus doesn't even ask for a password, it's as if we just downloaded the software today.

God answered our prayers in the form of an old Dell computer in a storage closet! The computer had all records from 1993 to 2007 (the information didn't go back as far as we thought). We created a back up disk from the old computer and then did a restore on the new computer. Everything went great.

I would really like to try and find 2008-2011 data (membership data only) that's on the back up files and merge it with the 1993 to 2007. Is that possible? I guess a drop and drag would be too easy. If the data I'm looking for is on the disk, what would it be called? If I got the 2008-2011 data in the right folder, then created a back-up disk, is it possible the 2008-2011 information would be restored.

In case you didn't guess, I know very little about the PowerChurch database. If that's not possible, how about exporting the 2008-2011 data into Excel and them importing it into PowerChurch? Never hurts to ask. Thanks for everything.

Kevin

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Things Just Got Better!

Post by Zorak »

Most likely, if you find the data set that has 2008-2011 in it, it would contain everything that is on that old Dell as well. That would be best case scenario, obviously.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to directly merge two sets of data, if you were to find 2008-11 separate from 1993-07. Take a look at this article that explains different scenarios and possibilities for combining multiple data sets:

http://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb/k ... icle_id=82

NeilZ

Re: Things Just Got Better!

Post by NeilZ »

FWIW ... you really only have to maintain contribution records for FOUR years per the IRS.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.