What is really getting backed up?

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

CranfordUMC

What is really getting backed up?

Post by CranfordUMC »

I am running Version 11 and have been using PC+ for over 6 years in my present church and at least 4 years in my previous church. In the past when doing backups and restores I have always either selected "All data files and pictures" or "Accounting" or "Contributions because that is how I have kept the two main computers in sync. Can someone tell me what is different between backing up "Membership files" and backing up "Mailing List, Profiles". If I back up the "Membership files" doesn't it also include the mailing list and profiles since they are in the Membership group? The zip files appear to have the same files in them. I keep the master accounting and contribution groups on my computer and the church secretary keeps the master membership group on the church computer.

thanks in advance
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford UMC
Lorton VA
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford United Methodist Church

NeilZ

Re: What is really getting backed up?

Post by NeilZ »

CranfordUMC wrote:I am running Version 11 and have been using PC+ for over 6 years in my present church and at least 4 years in my previous church. In the past when doing backups and restores I have always either selected "All data files and pictures" or "Accounting" or "Contributions because that is how I have kept the two main computers in sync. Can someone tell me what is different between backing up "Membership files" and backing up "Mailing List, Profiles". If I back up the "Membership files" doesn't it also include the mailing list and profiles since they are in the Membership group? The zip files appear to have the same files in them. I keep the master accounting and contribution groups on my computer and the church secretary keeps the master membership group on the church computer.

thanks in advance
Steve Heller
Treasurer
Cranford UMC
Lorton VA
If I remember right, Membership FIles include all the main profiles, along with ancillary data such as attendance, activities, and so on. Basically everything under the Membership menu I believe. The Mailing List and Profiles only contain the profiles, nothing more. If you do an unzip of the files you'll see the Mailing List & Profiles only contain the 'MA' and 'ME' series of data files, while the Membership contains many additional data files.

Trying to keep Membership and Contributions in sync as you're trying to do is a pain, as if someone gives a Contribution who's not in the Membership you'll have to add them. Then you have to get it over to the office to update their version, trouble is, if the office did updates between the time you last got a copy of the membership data, you'll be overwriting anything they have done. You have to really maintain a regimen of getting a copy of Membership on Friday, making sure that the Contributions are entered on Sunday, then giving back a full copy of Membership & Contributions to the office on Monday so nothing is overwritten.

(Opinion mode on)
As a long time user, and implementer of the program at three different churches, I've always felt it is much easier (and safer for all concerned) that if the data has to be kept in two separate places, that the Contributions (intake) entry be done on a machine kept at church, and the Funds Accounting (outgo) be done on a separate machine. I have a few reasons for this:

1. Keeping membership & contributions on the church machine means you never have to worry that you've accidentally overwritten something on either membership or contributions trying to keep them in sync.

2. The person doing the check writing does not have direct access to the Contributions side, so there is no temptation to 'cook the books' so to speak. This actually protects the Treasurer, who is usually a volunteer, from accusations of misconduct. The flow of data from Contributions is one-way, usually a 'sneaker net' or emailed copy of the deposit transaction from Contributions.

If the program is kept on the church network and accessed by networked computers or through a desktop access program such as GoToMyPC or VNC; the permissions be setup as such to only allow the treasurer to access the Funds Accounting area for much the same reason.
(Opinion mode off)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

CranfordUMC

Post by CranfordUMC »

:oops: You are absolutely correct, it appears I was not comparing the correct zip files. After spending over 35 years in IT (I go back to IMB cards) I should know better.

In an ideal world you are also absolutely correct in your opinion concerning separation of duties. I would love to be like other treasurers in large churches where my only job is to sign checks. Thanks again for your assistance.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

CranfordUMC wrote::oops: You are absolutely correct, it appears I was not comparing the correct zip files. After spending over 35 years in IT (I go back to IMB cards) I should know better.

In an ideal world you are also absolutely correct in your opinion concerning separation of duties. I would love to be like other treasurers in large churches where my only job is to sign checks. Thanks again for your assistance.
FWIW ... it even works in small churches. My wife's church has around 125 members, with 70 in worship on Sunday. We have a separate group who enters all the contributions directly after worship, and then drop the deposit in the bank overnight drop so no money is left at the church.

The Treasurer then verifies the deposit when she gets the slip in the mail from the bank, and if a change is necessary, lets the financial secretary (another volunteer) know so it can be adjusted.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.