backup files

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

trues

backup files

Post by trues »

I have a bash script that I wrote to automate powerchurch backup files.. My question is I notice in the data directory most of the files has meaniful ext. How can I know what files belong to
Contributions,FA,Library etc.. I guess I could actually backup the files up via module. Then look at the type of files was backup from every module.

NeilZ

Re: backup files

Post by NeilZ »

trues wrote:I have a bash script that I wrote to automate powerchurch backup files.. My question is I notice in the data directory most of the files has meaniful ext. How can I know what files belong to
Contributions,FA,Library etc.. I guess I could actually backup the files up via module. Then look at the type of files was backup from every module.
Are you trying to backup the data files, or the backup files ?? The PC+ backup creates ZIP files, with a header that the system reads to reflect the date/time of backup. If you're looking to do a full database backup to external media, I'd just backup the entire \DATA directory under the Powerchurch directory.

However, my tape backup is set to do the entire PC+ tree .. I believe Jeff Koke does a script that does backups, he'll be by shortly :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Most of the data files are in the \Data directory, but there are a few you might want to backup outside of there. Your custom report files are QM_* and reside in the root of PowerChurch. Others are in the \rpt_cust. There are 4 other *.DBF files that are in the root as well. So yeah, grabbing the entire directory tree isn't a bad idea. You could tar/gzip it and archive it I guess. When you want to restore, having the whole structure could help keep you from duplicating data which causes all sorts of weird problems.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

trues

Post by trues »

Here is my concern.

Assuming I tar/gzip /data whenever changes are made daily.
If the Contibution module person made change on 10-22-04
Also the FA person made changes the same day 10-22-04.

The contribution says I need for you to restore just my contribution on 10-22-04 because there was a lot of mistake made. If I restore /data on 10-22-04. I will write over any changes the FA made on that day.

The way to get around this is to just restore the files that are only related to the contribution files. I need to know what files belong to what module.

Finacial Accounting
Contribution
Account payable
Library
etc....

>>There are 4 other *.DBF files that are in the root as well

So are you saying that I need to backup not only what is in the /data but also these *.DBF dieectory. What are these DBF files. What module do they effect.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

PowerChurch backup/restore can do this for you.

I would recommend that you do a full backup of the entire directory for a system level backup AND use PowerChurch's backup capability on a periodic basis.

Another suggestion:
Make your bash script smart enough to recognize whether any PowerChurch users are currently running. Otherwise, you may get a partial data set.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Great Bridge Church of God
Chesapeake VA
"Every Father should remember that one day his
children will follow his example instead of his advice."

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Jeff is right, the PowerChurch backup/restore is the way to go for backing up speparate modules. I'd only use this script you're writing to backup everything. The files are pretty well segregated, but you're still playing with fire when backing up/restoring individual data files like you're suggesting.

The first two letters of the table name denote which to module the files relate, and are usually self-explainatory. ie. CO, FA, AP, AR, PR, etc. ME is personal profiles, MA is family mailing list, SK is activity and skills, etc...
(800) 486-1800

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

Zaphod wrote:Jeff is right...
First time I've been right all week! :lol:
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

trues

Post by trues »

Using backup/restore is a given on powerchurch. That does not solve my issue. I wanted a solution where the powerchurch would be backup on a server separate from the server everyone is using and only backup when changes are made. Since I am a linux person. It was very easy to write a bash script along with Samba and automate this process using a cron job. I just wanted to know which files belong to who via module. You have answered that question. Thanks

I did not get a response on the *.dbf that is in the root directory of powerchurch. What module does those files belong to.

trues

Post by trues »

"Another suggestion:
Make your bash script smart enough to recognize whether any PowerChurch users are currently running. Otherwise, you may get a partial data set."

I want have this problem since my backup will only occurr at 3:00 AM in the morning.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

trues wrote:Using backup/restore is a given on powerchurch. That does not solve my issue. I wanted a solution where the powerchurch would be backup on a server separate from the server everyone is using and only backup when changes are made. Since I am a linux person. It was very easy to write a bash script along with Samba and automate this process using a cron job. I just wanted to know which files belong to who via module. You have answered that question. Thanks

I did not get a response on the *.dbf that is in the root directory of powerchurch. What module does those files belong to.
Since you just want to backup changed files, just do the entire PC+ directory tree, this way you cover all the files in the root and the data directory. The only time the program files themselves change is when a Maintenance Release is installed. This will also cover any custom reports someone puts together, as well as changes to layouts, etc.

Remember the K.I.S.S. principle !!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jeffkoke

Post by jeffkoke »

trues wrote:"Another suggestion:
Make your bash script smart enough to recognize whether any PowerChurch users are currently running. Otherwise, you may get a partial data set."

I want have this problem since my backup will only occurr at 3:00 AM in the morning.
I can attest to the fact that just running the script at 0300 does not prevent a user from "forgetting" they are logged into the network and still have PowerChurch running.

Use the output of smbstatus and grep for pcplus9.exe. That will tell you whether PC+ files are in use/locked.

Jeff
Jeff
--
Jeff Koke, KK4SN
Chesapeake VA

RedBaron2

Post by RedBaron2 »

Hi All,
I have a problem with using the PC+ backup/restore utility included in the program. It makes a back-up of several files not even related to the PC+ program. I have PC+ in its own directory off the root C: directory. If I use the PC+ backup/restore utility. It will fail to restore files into that directory, but instead to the C: root directory. It also will do backups of files in the program files directory of programs that have no relevence to the PC+ program.

This could be due to some file(s) PC+ uses being redirected & forgetting its target. I had this problem on another computer at one point in the past. Since I reinstalled the PC+ program on a clean install it works fine on that computer.
--
Red Baron2

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Check the "Start In" field of the desktop shortcut. Make sure it says "C:\PCPLUS85" and not "C:\" (assuming you're using 8.5 - otherwise use the appropriate program directory).

Other than that, I don't know, that's weird.
(800) 486-1800

RedBaron2

Post by RedBaron2 »

Hey Zaphod I found out what the problem was for PC+ and its random(ly) {large} backup files. I had made the directory for PC+ a Hidden. This for some reason made the backup routine for PC+ go searching for the Directory in the Program Files Directory. Now that I made the Directory for PC+ normal. The backup function works like it is suppost to work. This might also be the same reason for the restore into the main Root Directory instead of the PC+ Directory. Thanks for the help though.
--
Red Baron2