CD-R disks

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Kristi

CD-R disks

Post by Kristi »

I had bought some Philips CD-R disks and I was able to back up on them a few times. Now it takes 3-4 tries. Yesterday I got the note that the CD I was using was not writeable. I backed up on floppies.

My mother remembered a salesman had told us that our CR-R's speed had to be compatible to our computer.

I just brought a Verbatim CD-R disk from home with a speed of 1x-48x. It backed up.

The Philips is a 52x.

Do you think this was really the issue or is my computer just moody?
Kristi
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Proverbs 3:5

NeilZ

Re: CD-R disks

Post by NeilZ »

Kristi wrote:I had bought some Philips CD-R disks and I was able to back up on them a few times. Now it takes 3-4 tries. Yesterday I got the note that the CD I was using was not writeable. I backed up on floppies.

My mother remembered a salesman had told us that our CR-R's speed had to be compatible to our computer.

I just brought a Verbatim CD-R disk from home with a speed of 1x-48x. It backed up.

The Philips is a 52x.

Do you think this was really the issue or is my computer just moody?
Kristi
It depends, the listed speed on the disk is the MAX speed that a CD writer can write to the disk. A slower writer should write fine to that disk. The issue was more with older CD-Rs and newer CD writers. Some of the older disks had a limit of 24x, yet the newer writers were able to do 36x, 48x, etc.

FWIW ... I don't use CD-Rs to do the backup, I just use CD-RWs, as they are less likely to have multiple write problems.

Since PC+ always appends the latest time/datestamp to the backup name, you'll not have to worry about duplicates and overwritten files.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

I think the PowerChurch CD backup writes at 1x regardless of the speed of the drive. Backup files are generally so small (relative to the available space on a CD), that you don't notice that much of a difference.

It could be your drive is being fussy, or it just doesn't like the different media. Reboot and try again. If you find CDs that your burner likes, stick with those.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/