Merging databases

Events, Record Keeping, Utilities

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ucmc

Merging databases

Post by ucmc »

I need some instructions. I have PC 10.4 on my church computer where I enter Membership and activities only. I do not keep up with the contributions, that is handled by our treasurer at her home on PC church. Of course, whenever I add a new member it automatically adds an envelope number to my PC database.

We are now hiring someone to do accounts receivable. They will need to use my church computer with the PC database that I am currently using. How do I bring over the information (contributions) from the treasurer's PC program into the PC program here at church without over writing any membership data. Since the treasurer already has envlopes assigned in her PC database will that automatically assign the correct envelope to the correct members or will I have to somehow delete all the envelope numbers I currently have in my Membership database before the import. If I do need to delete the envelope numbers from my database is there a way to mass delete them. Thank you.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Merging databases

Post by Zorak »

You can make a Contributions Files backup on the other person's computer to transfer the contributions data back to the church. That will contain only the Contributions data, not Membership, Accounting, or any other information. However, the envelope numbers in their Contributions data won't line up with what you have in Membership.

You will need to run the Envelope Numbers List from under Contributions > Reports - Contributions on each of those two computers, then compare and manually update your Membership information with the correct envelope numbers before restoring that person's backup.