Deleting members with no contributions for 4 yrs

Family Mailing List, Personal Profiles, Activities and Skills, Attendance, Visitations

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ldj3224@gmail.com

Deleting members with no contributions for 4 yrs

Post by ldj3224@gmail.com »

I have deleted 5 members who are either deceased or had no attendance or contributions for the last four years. There were contributions prior to 4 years ago. Before I back this file up can you tell me if this will screw up the accounting module in any way? Right now I can still overwrite with latest backup.

NeilZ

Re: Deleting members with no contributions for 4 yrs

Post by NeilZ »

ldj3224@gmail.com wrote:I have deleted 5 members who are either deceased or had no attendance or contributions for the last four years. There were contributions prior to 4 years ago. Before I back this file up can you tell me if this will screw up the accounting module in any way? Right now I can still overwrite with latest backup.
There is always some confusion over the relationship between the Contributions module and Accounting.

These are two separate databases. The data flow is one way from Contributions TO Funds Accounting. Once you POST contributions, a transaction is then created and placed in the Funds Accounting Unposted Transactions queue. There is no further interaction, so if you clear out old Contributions, nothing is affected in Accounting whatsoever since that data has already been transferred.

The only time things are changed in Accounting, is if you are correcting a Contribution because it was not entered correctly, and that correction would affect something in Accounting such as an increase or decrease in income, or funds being debited to the wrong income account.

Does this help??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

lkensett

Post by lkensett »

We handle inactive members by giving them a separate mailing status (for the household) and personal statuses. That way, it's easy to reactivate members with all their old information if they move back into the area.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

lkensett wrote:We handle inactive members by giving them a separate mailing status (for the household) and personal statuses. That way, it's easy to reactivate members with all their old information if they move back into the area.
Always a good practice, I'm fairly sure that Inactive Member is one of the standard Powerchurch defaults when first installing, so its good to know that many churches do use this feature.

FWIW ... you have to maintain inactive or removed member contribution information for at least 4 years per IRS Pub 1828.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.