Family Members with Different Last Names

Family Mailing List, Personal Profiles, Activities and Skills, Attendance, Visitations

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

shallengordon

Family Members with Different Last Names

Post by shallengordon »

PowerChurch Plus 11.5 allows us to maintain family records even when the husband and wife have different last names. We use that capability a lot. However, a problem arises when the husband and wife each have a different Cell Phone number. So we created labels for Cell-Male and Cell-Female as a way to differentiate which cell phone number goes with which member. Unfortunately, some in our congregation have first names that are not obvious (to others) as male or female because they hail from another country. So this method does not really work well for us.

Further we tried using labels like Cell 1 and Cell 2. However, the Family is listed twice. Once under one last name, and once under the second last name. The order of the names within these two listing differs, so Cell 1 and Cell 2 are the correct labels for one listing, but not for the other.

Do you have a solution?

It would be especially nice if the phone label could be somewhat dynamic. Suppose %FN1 represented the first name of the first family member and %FN2 represented the first name of the second member. We would then define two phone labels as "%FN1 Cell" and "%FN2 Cell" and your PowerChurch would insert the appropriate first name as it prints the label in the church membership directory. Now that feature would make PowerChurch really powerful and would be a very welcome feature for all of us who have a welcoming congregation for families from all countries.

Let me know if you have a good solution for our situation or if you can implement this suggestion!

NeilZ

Re: Family Members with Different Last Names

Post by NeilZ »

Um ... where are you putting the cell phone? Are you not using the individual personal profiles ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

shallengordon

Post by shallengordon »

Yes, we have now placed one cell phone number on the Personal Profile record for the first individual, and the other cell phone number on the Personal Profile record of the second individual. I have removed the cell phone numbers from the Integrated Data Entry window.

Now no cell phones at all appear for this family when I run the Church Directory report.

Previously, when I did list the cell phone numbers on the Integrated Data Entry window the cell phone numbers appeared when the Church Directory was produced. But the labels were not helpful. Now that I've removed the cell phone numbers from Integrated Date Entry and have placed them only in the Personal Profile records, they do not appear in the Church Directory at all.

Can you help further, please? How can I get the cell phone numbers that are listed on the Personal Profile records to be printed in the Church Directory along with the person's name? (printing the cell phone number from the Personal Profile record without the individual's name would not be helpful.)

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

shallengordon wrote:Yes, we have now placed one cell phone number on the Personal Profile record for the first individual, and the other cell phone number on the Personal Profile record of the second individual. I have removed the cell phone numbers from the Integrated Data Entry window.

Now no cell phones at all appear for this family when I run the Church Directory report.

Previously, when I did list the cell phone numbers on the Integrated Data Entry window the cell phone numbers appeared when the Church Directory was produced. But the labels were not helpful. Now that I've removed the cell phone numbers from Integrated Date Entry and have placed them only in the Personal Profile records, they do not appear in the Church Directory at all.

Can you help further, please? How can I get the cell phone numbers that are listed on the Personal Profile records to be printed in the Church Directory along with the person's name? (printing the cell phone number from the Personal Profile record without the individual's name would not be helpful.)
OK .. I just tested this on my copy of 11.55 here. I'm assuming your using the DETAIL layout of the directory.

When the selection window pops up, you should get the chance on that window to select the Directly Layout.

Clicking NEXT brings up a window that asks [i[Which personal profiles do you want to include in the directory?[/i] here you select the Mailing List Profile type and the Personal Profile types you want to include, then you click NEXT.

This next selection screen asks what date you want to include.

Then on the next screen you can select to include the email address, and then any other information. This is where you select to include the personal cell phone in the directory.

Are you doing that last step properly? I was able to include the cell phones when I selected to include them as 'additional information'.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.