Emailing through Act&Skills Mod

Family Mailing List, Personal Profiles, Activities and Skills, Attendance, Visitations

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

John Dykema

Emailing through Act&Skills Mod

Post by John Dykema »

Without any changes made to the program, yesterday the ability to email through the Activities & Skills Mod stopped working and gave us an error message of: "A connection to the email server could not be made. The SMTP server reported an error code 535; 5.7.8. Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 5.7.8. Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at"

I have verified the outgoing email address and password are correct in File, Preferences, System Setup Options.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Emailing through Act&Skills Mod

Post by Zorak »

Was there a link from the e-mail provider in the message where it says "Learn more at"?

It is likely an additional security thing the e-mail provider is doing. Gmail and Yahoo will both show user and password/authentication failed errors because they require you to log in to the website and authorize "less secure apps". This blocks programs like PowerChurch (and Outlook) from accessing the e-mail account via SMTP.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

In regards to your question, I tried the "learn more at" link and it wasn't a link to anything specific, just Google's settings page.

I looked at Google's settings. They were at "less secure apps". PC still isn't sending an email out.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Since you have Version 11/11.1 of PowerChurch Plus, nothing has changed in the software in quite a while. You said you verified the e-mail setup in System Setup Options. Verify that you don't have user-specific settings that are overriding the system defaults on the User Setup Options screen. Google apparently doesn't like something about the user and password.

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

Today, I contacted our tech support company. They verified that our Google account is ok and were able to send a "test" under the File/Preferences/System Setup Options/Email tab. However, when I go backing ActSkills to send an email, it still gives me an error message. Thoughts on this new situation.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Did you verify that you don't have user-specific settings that are overriding the system defaults on the User Setup Options screen?

John Dykema

Post by John Dykema »

I unchecked and recheck the Advanced Options box in User Setup Options and then Ok. It is sending without the error from last week, but not to every email address in the Activity number selected, giving us an error report to review.

Thank you for your help on this issue, Zorak. We seem to be narrowing down the problem.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Are any of the other e-mail fields marked with "Override" on your User Setup Options?