Search Member Module without Printing a Report?

Family Mailing List, Personal Profiles, Activities and Skills, Attendance, Visitations

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mrm1

Search Member Module without Printing a Report?

Post by mrm1 »

It is not possible to search the member module in PC 10.4 other than on First Name, Last Name, and possibly address. Has this changed in newer versions? I've never understood why PC will not search the member module and allow me to work with only people in the module that meet certain criteria. All I have ever seen is report search and printing.

mrm1

Re: Search Member Module without Printing a Report?

Post by mrm1 »

I need to search and work with ONLY people who are listed in the Pers. Status List who are listed as members. Is there no way to simply search on just that list and have the member database exclude everyone else so I can just update those records? Without printing a report and then manually going back in and one-at-a-time looking up each person?

Tagging? useless, cant search on just tagged records
Locate by last name? Limiting and useless. enter the last name, it pulls up every recorded with this name but keep clicking next and its everone else too.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

mrm1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:06 am
I need to search and work with ONLY people who are listed in the Pers. Status List who are listed as members. Is there no way to simply search on just that list and have the member database exclude everyone else so I can just update those records? Without printing a report and then manually going back in and one-at-a-time looking up each person?

Tagging? useless, cant search on just tagged records
Locate by last name? Limiting and useless. enter the last name, it pulls up every recorded with this name but keep clicking next and its everone else too.
I'm assuming you mean the Locate function? Its is primarily a name search, there's no other way to 'filter' out records you do not want to see, as it searches the entire database. The NEXT button works by going to the next record based on the internal index number assigned to it, not by name.

There has been additional filtering added in newer versions to the Locate button, but nothing that adds a filter by status. FWIW ... I never 'print' a report that I'm not going to distribute at a meeting, I 'print' to a PDF file, which I can then delete when no longer needed.

In addition, v12 has added a 'button' on the profile screen that brings up a list all the records in the database sorted by last name, you can use that to easily navigate to the next record in your report.

What are you trying to update?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

mrm1

Post by mrm1 »

NeilZ wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:49 am

I'm assuming you mean the Locate function? Its is primarily a name search, there's no other way to 'filter' out records you do not want to see, as it searches the entire database. The NEXT button works by going to the next record based on the internal index number assigned to it, not by name.

There has been additional filtering added in newer versions to the Locate button, but nothing that adds a filter by status. FWIW ... I never 'print' a report that I'm not going to distribute at a meeting, I 'print' to a PDF file, which I can then delete when no longer needed.

In addition, v12 has added a 'button' on the profile screen that brings up a list all the records in the database sorted by last name, you can use that to easily navigate to the next record in your report.

What are you trying to update?
Not exactly the "Locate" function. It's Just all you have

I am not trying to locate an individual record. I am trying to Search the database for a specific range of records. Lets say you have had 3 dozen people who have visited your church since Jan 1. When they were entered they were entered as "Visitor" in the Pers.Status. The system also created a "date created" date for the creation date of the new record.

Now its mid April. You want to look up all the people who have visited the church in a date range, from Jan -March, AND ... you want to change those who have become members from 'Visitor" to 'Member'. There is no way to use the Pers. Status field OR the Date Created field to either search for all visitors or search a date range for the date the record was created.

How do you find those people? Well in Power Church, you have to print the report (or PDF or whatever you want to do) and then go back to the database and LINE BY LINE, search each person individually and make the change. That's Pretty cumbersome at best.

Seriously, Search criteria for records in a database is DB design 101. Powerchurch has never had it, at least not in earlier versions. I was hoping maybe they had gotten better. Guess not.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

mrm1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Not exactly the "Locate" function. It's Just all you have

I am not trying to locate an individual record. I am trying to Search the database for a specific range of records. Lets say you have had 3 dozen people who have visited your church since Jan 1. When they were entered they were entered as "Visitor" in the Pers.Status. The system also created a "date created" date for the creation date of the new record.

Now its mid April. You want to look up all the people who have visited the church in a date range, from Jan -March, AND ... you want to change those who have become members from 'Visitor" to 'Member'. There is no way to use the Pers. Status field OR the Date Created field to either search for all visitors or search a date range for the date the record was created.

How do you find those people? Well in Power Church, you have to print the report (or PDF or whatever you want to do) and then go back to the database and LINE BY LINE, search each person individually and make the change. That's Pretty cumbersome at best.

Seriously, Search criteria for records in a database is DB design 101. Powerchurch has never had it, at least not in earlier versions. I was hoping maybe they had gotten better. Guess not.
Locate is exactly that ... find a name in newer versions by last name, by email address, or by envelope number. That said, you can't add filters for every single item. That said, you don't have to go through line by line, v12 has a quick list of people that you can expand, and scroll down to get to the record you want.

Changing visitor to member is something that does take time. You need to not only change status, but add a membership date, any other data such as birthday, date of baptism, etc. Plus you are going to have a list of those who became members.

Again, what are you trying to do since your example shows you will have a list of names.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

mrm1

Post by mrm1 »

Sorry you may not be understanding.

I simply want to view the member data base by applying a filter "Vistor" so I can change them to member or attender

Locate does not do that. This I know. Why are there not filters on every single field in the member database. I've designed 3 databases and every one of them had that simple feature.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Back to the Navigation List added in Version 12. It lets you filter the visible records and also do a full text search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qplUKeaMVvM