Opening multiple funds with multiple bank accts

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

plattecrc

Opening multiple funds with multiple bank accts

Post by plattecrc »

I have now done the Setup Accounting module 3 times and I can't figure out how to get things setup correctly to match how we have been handling our books. :wall:

Here is how we are currently setup in our old bookkeeping system:
I have ONE checking account which handles both my GENERAL and my IMPROVEMENT fund. My deacons prefer to see the transactions/balances of these funds separately. Budget envelopes for local church cash flow are deposited to the GENERAL fund part of the bank account, and then transferred to the IMPROVEMENT fund as needed. Then, I have a SPECIAL fund with its own checking account which handles all offering plate offerings as Pass-thru and Temporarily Restricted funds.

In your Setup Accounting module, we setup the GENERAL FUND. But, if I follow the setup and put in 1) both checking accounts with balances and outstanding transactions, and 2) all the pass-thru and temp restricted funds and their balances, the initial transactions are always posted to the GENERAL FUND. I then setup 02 SPECIAL FUND, but I can't move any existing accounts with transactions solely to the new fund. I do not want to use the GENERAL FUND to handle the pass-thru or restricted funds.

If I don't open any of the pass-thru or temp restricted accounts during the initial setup, I don't have the option of putting in a beginning balance. I also tried opening a new checking account in my 02 SPECIAL FUND after the initial setup, but again, I can't add an opening balance, or un-cleared transactions. Do I have to do this all manually with debit/credit transactions to the specific accounts? HELP!

Matt
Authorized Teaching Consultant
Authorized Teaching Consultant

Re: Opening multiple funds with multiple bank accts

Post by Matt »

Here's what you'll need to do. Use the Accounting Setup Assistant to set up all of the checking accounts that you are using, even if the balances belong in different accounting funds. This is necessary in order to load the outstanding checks and deposits. However, do not set up the pass through and temp restricted funds at this time, as the Assistant can only set up one accounting fund--the General Fund. Then, you will need to complete the Accounting Setup Assistant. Once complete, set up the additional accounting funds you need. Then, add the pass through and temp restricted funds to the new accounting funds. Then, you will need to do manual debit/credit transactions to transfer the Special Fund checking account balances that were posted to the General Fund during the setup to the Special Fund accounting fund.