How to Restore a Backup Without Overwriting Current Files?

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Matt
Authorized Teaching Consultant

How to Restore a Backup Without Overwriting Current Files?

Post by Matt »

I had a situation where I made a backup of the files prior to doing a restart of Accounting for a church that was using PowerChurch Online. We did the restart and then reset up the Accounting. After the Accounting was set up we realized that we needed to run some reports from the backup. How can you restore a backup when using PowerChurch Online without overwriting the current files? If the church had bought the software CD we could have simply reinstalled PowerChurch to a different directory and then restored the files there. However, you do not have that option when using PowerChurch Online.

NeilZ

Re: How to Restore a Backup Without Overwriting Current File

Post by NeilZ »

matt wrote:I had a situation where I made a backup of the files prior to doing a restart of Accounting for a church that was using PowerChurch Online. We did the restart and then reset up the Accounting. After the Accounting was set up we realized that we needed to run some reports from the backup. How can you restore a backup when using PowerChurch Online without overwriting the current files? If the church had bought the software CD we could have simply reinstalled PowerChurch to a different directory and then restored the files there. However, you do not have that option when using PowerChurch Online.
Matt,

you can't ...

do a backup of your current data, restore the data you need the reports from, do the reports, then restore the current data.

That is one of the drawbacks of the online version.

Neil
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Matt

Re: How to Restore a Backup Without Overwriting Current File

Post by Matt »

Thank Neil. Your suggestion will work.