Failed to connect....

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

debbieg

Failed to connect....

Post by debbieg »

I am out of town for holiday but trying to do some work on PC Online. I am using our laptop that is used regularly at home for connecting to PowerChurch. The house here has wi-fi connection which is successfully connected on this laptop (obviously since I am posting on here). However, when I try to connect to PC I get the 'Failed to connect to "apps.mypowerchurch.com" on port #491' error message. Does anyone know of something that might be causing this? Is there a setting I need to check for my internet connection?
thanks for the help.
Debbie

NeilZ

Re: Failed to connect....

Post by NeilZ »

debbieg wrote:I am out of town for holiday but trying to do some work on PC Online. I am using our laptop that is used regularly at home for connecting to PowerChurch. The house here has wi-fi connection which is successfully connected on this laptop (obviously since I am posting on here). However, when I try to connect to PC I get the 'Failed to connect to "apps.mypowerchurch.com" on port #491' error message. Does anyone know of something that might be causing this? Is there a setting I need to check for my internet connection?
thanks for the help.
Debbie
The local ISP or the local router may be blocking non-standard ports:

Here's a knowledgebase article on this: https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb.php?id=82&type=1

You could test this using a smartphone and the local WiFi using the mobile site as shown here:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/kb.php?id=82&type=1

Try the connection first NOT using the local WiFi just the cell phone data connection, then try with the WiFi.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

debbieg

Post by debbieg »

Neil,
so if the ISP is blocking that port, is there anything that I can do to change it at this house?
Debbie

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

debbieg wrote:Neil,
so if the ISP is blocking that port, is there anything that I can do to change it at this house?
Debbie
Unfortunately, no ... that said, I would look to see if the local router has a built-in firewall that may have been set to block the non-standard ports. If so, there is also a way to open that port for use.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zaina
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zaina »

Additionally, if you are still trying to connect to apps.mypowerchurch.com, that is incorrect. If you have a PC laptop, the new IDS client (looks like a white globe with green longitude and latitude lines) it should automatically be connecting to online.mypowerchurch.com. If you still have the white icon with green and black bubbles, go to mypowerchurch.com and download and install the newest client.

debbieg

Post by debbieg »

Zaina wrote:Additionally, if you are still trying to connect to apps.mypowerchurch.com, that is incorrect. If you have a PC laptop, the new IDS client (looks like a white globe with green longitude and latitude lines) it should automatically be connecting to online.mypowerchurch.com. If you still have the white icon with green and black bubbles, go to mypowerchurch.com and download and install the newest client.
Zaina, I am aware that a new client is available but it hasn't been downloaded on the machine that I was using at that time. The old client still works so I believe it was just a blocked port like Neil suggested.

Zaina
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zaina »

Yes, you had a port issue, but you should still update your client.

The old client connects to old servers that will eventually be taken offline. The new branded PowerChurch Online (new IDS client that looks like a white globe with green lines) connects to the new servers. So it would be advisable to make sure that new one is installed, old one uninstalled, so you can connect to the new servers. :D