Connection to Host Broken

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

TMeadows

Connection to Host Broken

Post by TMeadows »

I am new to Powerchurch Online. If I log on to Powerchurch and then leave it idle while I go work on something else and then come back to Powerchurch I get an error message saying the connection to the host was broken and it asks if I want to reconnect. If I say yes it attempts to reconnect and then I get the error "Connection Failed: Access to the host was denie." Is this normal?

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Connection to Host Broken

Post by Zorak »

The IDS Client will automatically disconnect you after 4 hours of inactivity. If you are getting disconnected more frequently than that, it sounds like your network card might be going to sleep, or you are otherwise losing (however briefly) your connection to the internet.

TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

It's never very long. This morning I think I may have been away from it for 30 minutes. Should it reconnect without a problem or will I have to close out and log back in every time it does this? We are in a rural area, so it may very well be a break in the connection from time to time and I'm not sure how to check the network card.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Here is a Microsoft article about setting the network adapter to never sleep. It's for Windows 7, so there may be a different article on their site somewhere for your specific Windows version.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2740020

Since your logins to the IDS Client are limited to only two at a time (concurrent user licenses) it immediately kills your current session when it sees that you have disconnected, even if it is just a blip. Otherwise, you would quickly find that you couldn't log back in because both of your user licenses were being tied up by your previous sessions.

TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

Ok, I changed the network adapter settings and hopefully that will help. I understand the functionality of having to log back in, but it is certainly not going to be very convenient if this is going to happen frequently. Thanks for your help!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

TMeadows wrote:Ok, I changed the network adapter settings and hopefully that will help. I understand the functionality of having to log back in, but it is certainly not going to be very convenient if this is going to happen frequently. Thanks for your help!
Please note, this is something that is occurring on your machine, and is not a functionality or being caused by Powerchurch or the IDS client.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.