Appearance of PowerChurch Online

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

kwilson

Appearance of PowerChurch Online

Post by kwilson »

I hate the look of PowerChurch Online. The font is horrible and there is no way to adjust it without changing the resolution on my computer. With the software we had so many options, for instance backgrounds. PowerChurch online has the look of something 40 yrs ago. From reading the forum, this seems to have been a problem for a long time. Is there no solution?
Kay
PowerChurch user since 2009
PowerChurch Online user since 2014

NeilZ

Re: Appearance of PowerChurch Online

Post by NeilZ »

kwilson wrote:I hate the look of PowerChurch Online. The font is horrible and there is no way to adjust it without changing the resolution on my computer. With the software we had so many options, for instance backgrounds. PowerChurch online has the look of something 40 yrs ago. From reading the forum, this seems to have been a problem for a long time. Is there no solution?
FWIW .... Powerchurch Online uses the same executable as the desktop version. The fonts are the same, and the views are the same. I'm not sure what resolution you're using but at 1440x900 it looks exactly the same as the desktop.

The program is built on FoxPro, and uses the same types of Windows Forms many other Microsoft based programs do, although M$ stopped improving FoxPro a few years ago so it may not have the latest types of Windows Forms. 40 years ago, there wasn't any Windows, and there was only green screen mainframe or DOS programs, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'the look of something 40 years ago' .

Right now Powerchurch is working on moving Powerchurch off Foxpro onto something based on C++ or C#, I'm not sure how long that will take, but in the meantime they're improving v11.55 as they maintain it. I suspect when that version comes out, you may see some changes to the look of the program, but as far as adjusting I use Quicken 2014 for my home finances, and you can't adjust the fonts there either.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

kwilson

Post by kwilson »

DOS written programs was exactly what I was referring to...used it myself! All I know is no matter what resolution I use, it looks grainy and looks nothing like 11.5 software I was using before. I'm happy to learn they are working on improvements. Even with its faults, I prefer PowerChurch over other programs. And I'll learn to live with the online version!
Kay

kwilson

Post by kwilson »

I finally realized why its so hard to read the print on the Quick Menus. Its the gray background. I pulled up the software version to compare and all menus have white background and much easier to see. Any chance of getting rid of all that gray with the online version?
Kay

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

In the online version windows themes are disabled. It works this way to improve the speed of the program. This does revert a program to a windows 95 look. The background picture on the desktop version is disabled for the same reason as well, it helps the program to run faster when it doesn't have to redraw the picture every time a window is closed or moved.

Unfortunately this is something we have little control over at the present as it is controlled by the IDS server.

There might be something we can do about the quick menus. I will write it up to see if we can.

kwilson

Post by kwilson »

Thank you, Jeff for the explanation. I guess in this age of hi-tech the Windows 95 look was a bit of a shock. But I'll trade looks for speed any day.
Kay