Mass Emails

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

kirkre

Mass Emails

Post by kirkre »

I'm having a similar problem identified in a previous post regarding being unable to send emails through PowerChurch Online. I keep getting the message "Could not establish TCP/IP connection with the server; connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond." Based on the previous post, I called the technical support staff and was told that if we are using an internet provider requiring use of a modem (e.g., Charter) then we could not use the email because of the security requirements from the provider. I was also told we wouldn't have that problem with a web-based provider (e.g., gmail). When I try using a web-based email provider (e.g., a yahoo email account), I get the same error message. I didn't where the previous posted resulted in a resolution of the issue. Is there a solution to this or will we have to accept that we will not be able to use this function with the online version?

NeilZ

Re: Mass Emails

Post by NeilZ »

kirkre wrote:I'm having a similar problem identified in a previous post regarding being unable to send emails through PowerChurch Online. I keep getting the message "Could not establish TCP/IP connection with the server; connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond." Based on the previous post, I called the technical support staff and was told that if we are using an internet provider requiring use of a modem (e.g., Charter) then we could not use the email because of the security requirements from the provider. I was also told we wouldn't have that problem with a web-based provider (e.g., gmail). When I try using a web-based email provider (e.g., a yahoo email account), I get the same error message. I didn't where the previous posted resulted in a resolution of the issue. Is there a solution to this or will we have to accept that we will not be able to use this function with the online version?

In reality, all 'web based' email services are not alike. Gmail doesn't have a problem with email programs such as Outlook or Thunderbird, or PCPlus for that matter, as it doesn't care how you access its SMTP server just as long as you have the security & port settings correct.

With Yahoo on the other hand, they make you turn on the POP functions, I'm not sure if this also controls the access to their SMTP servers. However, make sure you have the SMTP settings setup properly.

The Yahoo SMTP server is: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
You need to add the PORT : 465, so the resulting Server line will look like this
smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

You need to turn on AUTHENTICATION by checking the checkbox next to Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication and also
check the radio button next to SSL.

If you have your MAIN email settings setup this way (using the File->Preferences -> System Setup -> EMAIL Tab) all the users will have this setup as the default.

If you do have this setup in the manner listed above, then I do suggest you call tech support. As an ONLINE user, you have unlimited support access.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

kirkre

Post by kirkre »

Appreciate the quick reply. I apparently had the wrong port number - once I corrected that I did get a successful test on sending emails. Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

kirkre wrote:Appreciate the quick reply. I apparently had the wrong port number - once I corrected that I did get a successful test on sending emails. Thanks.
Good to hear ...
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.