Window Font Size - Can it be increased?

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tbenson13

Window Font Size - Can it be increased?

Post by tbenson13 »

When I login to PowerChurch Online to use our software, the font size is too small. The monitor is set at the recommended resolution and all other programs font size are just fine. Please tell me how I can change this setting in PowerChurch, PLEASE. I'm going blind here.
:wall: :(

NeilZ

Re: Window Font Size - Can it be increased?

Post by NeilZ »

tbenson13 wrote:When I login to PowerChurch Online to use our software, the font size is too small. The monitor is set at the recommended resolution and all other programs font size are just fine. Please tell me how I can change this setting in PowerChurch, PLEASE. I'm going blind here.
:wall: :(
The IDS client uses the resolution setup on your computer, there is no way to adjust that from within the program. You may have to change the screen fonts on your machine when using PC Online.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

What version of Windows are you using? In windows 7 if you hold down the Cntrl key and press the Plus key it will make everything larger. I just tried it here and it does not work with the resident program but it might with the online version. Can't hurt to give it a try. If it does work you can return to original size by holding the Cntrl key and pressing the 0 key.
Tom

Hdpiglit

Post by Hdpiglit »

I have this same problem. It is very annoying. I am running Windows 7 and the CTRL+ does not work in this program. I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Hdpiglit wrote:I have this same problem. It is very annoying. I am running Windows 7 and the CTRL+ does not work in this program. I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks!
As mentioned above, the IDS client uses the Windows Fonts, you will need to adjust fonts under the APPEARANCE application found under Control Panel.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

WilKab1

Post by WilKab1 »

I am the new Treasurer to be at our church. I'm also somewhat of a techie. PowerChurch Online needs a total makeover and I'm very surprised that this software dwells in the "software dark ages". Its GUI needs total revamping, like yesterday! If such was done, there would be no problem with font size. My 72 year old eyes aren't what they used to be. I would tend to switch software to something else but our retiring Treasurer has put so much work into making PowerChurch work, despite her frustrations with the software, that I'm reluctant to switch to something modern and up-to-date. Any comments from the programmers?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

WilKab1 wrote:I am the new Treasurer to be at our church. I'm also somewhat of a techie. PowerChurch Online needs a total makeover and I'm very surprised that this software dwells in the "software dark ages". Its GUI needs total revamping, like yesterday! If such was done, there would be no problem with font size. My 72 year old eyes aren't what they used to be. I would tend to switch software to something else but our retiring Treasurer has put so much work into making PowerChurch work, despite her frustrations with the software, that I'm reluctant to switch to something modern and up-to-date. Any comments from the programmers?
I can't speak to the issues your old treasurer was having. That said, if she had come on the board to let us know what she was having problems with, we could have assisted.

That said, you need to read the update notes for the new Maintenance Release.
Special Note for PowerChurch Online Users:

A new IDS Client update will soon be published for Windows users which resolves some known issues and also adds DPI scaling to the IDS Client. This means that if you have large fonts enabled on your Windows computer, PowerChurch Online will now scale properly. It also allows Windows Themes support, so the program will look more like current generation Windows apps. The IDS Client update will be gradually released across each of our servers over the next few days and will download and install on your computer automatically when ready.
Also ... not sure what you mean by the software 'dark ages'. Its kind of hard to change the GUI when Microsoft stops supporting the database product the system is built on. Foxpro was a VERY robust database engine, very scalable, and easily networked. Microsoft bought the company, and upgraded it as long as its 'flagship' DBMS SQL Server was not in a form that could do what Foxpro could do.

Well, Microsoft stopped supporting Foxpro, while SQL Server still can't be easily networked as Foxpro could. Now, if Powerchurch were a large company like Intuit, all they'd have to do is put their 100s of programmers on the job. However, there are 4 or 5 programmers working at Powerchurch, its a small, family owned company. That said, they have been able to do wonders with a product that is still hundreds less than a similar church management system, and allow a small church to network as many PCs as it needs without charging a 'per seat' fee. I'm not sure what 'other software package' you were thinking about, but none can give you the bang for the buck that PCPlus can.

However, Powerchurch has been able to upgrade the GUI slightly so now its responsive to the desktop DPI settings. The IDS client (a third party tool) has also been revamped, so you should be seeing a new client available to download which should fix the issue your seeing.

Hope this helps.

BTW .. I'm a techie too, having been a programmer for mainframes and (in a small way) for PCs, for over 30 years. I also own a PC Support Company along with my part-time work at the church.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

I have to also say, I have no financial interest in Powerchurch and I volunteer my time and knowledge as a long term user to assist other users with their questions. As I mentioned above, Powerchurch is a small company, and if I can help the programming staff by answering questions here, they can continue to spend their time on adding incremental updates and fixes to a product that is affordable to congregations of all sizes.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

silvertown

Post by silvertown »

Dear Neil,

I am NOT a techie, and I need help in how to increase the font size on reports that I am viewing. (PC11.55-Windows 8 ) I have tried going to the control panel and changing font size. If I magnify the screen in Windows, it is a train wreck! Everything blows up. Mercy. Is there something in PC that I can adjust to have the font larger in the reports screens? As it is right now, the 8 and 9 on my reports is difficult to determine which number it is. Once it is printed, it is fine. I don't want to have to print everything that I want to view.

Can you please help?

Kim @ Silvertown

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

silvertown wrote:Dear Neil,

I am NOT a techie, and I need help in how to increase the font size on reports that I am viewing. (PC11.55-Windows 8 ) I have tried going to the control panel and changing font size. If I magnify the screen in Windows, it is a train wreck! Everything blows up. Mercy. Is there something in PC that I can adjust to have the font larger in the reports screens? As it is right now, the 8 and 9 on my reports is difficult to determine which number it is. Once it is printed, it is fine. I don't want to have to print everything that I want to view.

Can you please help?

Kim @ Silvertown
The tips listed above were for the normal program screen, such as entry windows, and so on.

The report review screen is adjusted by the Page Width pull down at the top of the preview screen. If you click on that pull-down, you can increase the display (basically it zooms in), you'll have to use the scroll bars to move around the report, but you do have that increased size you wanted.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

silvertown

Post by silvertown »

Dear Neil,

Thank you soooo much! I appreciate you putting up with all of my silly questions :?

kim