Getting disconnected frequently

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

wyandottefamily

Getting disconnected frequently

Post by wyandottefamily »

So I am a new Power Church Online user as of the last couple of months. I continuously have a problem with getting disconnected from the IDS Client. It has always happened but this week it's been exceptionally frequent--as in nearly ever 10 minutes. I've been kicked off over 10 times today alone.

Any suggestions for me? I'm thinking maybe a setting on my computer needs to be changed.
P-Church user since Jan 2016 :D

NeilZ

Re: Getting disconnected frequently

Post by NeilZ »

wyandottefamily wrote:So I am a new Power Church Online user as of the last couple of months. I continuously have a problem with getting disconnected from the IDS Client. It has always happened but this week it's been exceptionally frequent--as in nearly ever 10 minutes. I've been kicked off over 10 times today alone.

Any suggestions for me? I'm thinking maybe a setting on my computer needs to be changed.
How are you connecting? Over a wireless or hardwired ethernet connection? As a Powerchurch Online user, you have access to free support via phone. You may want to give them a call direct.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

beckyc

Post by beckyc »

Do you have any suggestions on what we should check if this is happening to us?

The lady who posts the payroll frequently complains that her connection logs her off so quickly that she can't post the numbers. It doesn't happen every week but frequently.

She is at a different location than the church. If I try to login at home, I don't have any problem. When the bookkeeper logs in at the church, she doesn't have any problem. Both at the church office and my home we are running macs. The payroll lady is running windows. But I would guess that windows/mac isn't the issue.

The payroll lady also thinks that it is just because someone else might be logged in. But our church bookkeeper tries to log off as soon as she is done with her work. And I don't think that the possibility of user overlap is the issue but just a random guess by her. (by the way, how many can be logged in at one time? I think I saw somewhere that it was 2 users, but I don't think that anyone is ever logged in if I am trying, so how do I check?)

Is there something that I could give her as an option to try to see what might be causing the disconnections?

Thanks
Becky

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

beckyc wrote:Do you have any suggestions on what we should check if this is happening to us?

The lady who posts the payroll frequently complains that her connection logs her off so quickly that she can't post the numbers. It doesn't happen every week but frequently.

She is at a different location than the church. If I try to login at home, I don't have any problem. When the bookkeeper logs in at the church, she doesn't have any problem. Both at the church office and my home we are running macs. The payroll lady is running windows. But I would guess that windows/mac isn't the issue.

The payroll lady also thinks that it is just because someone else might be logged in. But our church bookkeeper tries to log off as soon as she is done with her work. And I don't think that the possibility of user overlap is the issue but just a random guess by her. (by the way, how many can be logged in at one time? I think I saw somewhere that it was 2 users, but I don't think that anyone is ever logged in if I am trying, so how do I check?)

Is there something that I could give her as an option to try to see what might be causing the disconnections?

Thanks
Becky
The basic subscription is that you can only have two users online concurrently. However, based on the fact that she's only having issues when working from home, I suspect its more an issue with her setup. It can be due to the speed of her internet connection, what other software may be running on her computer, or the version of Windows she's running. Has the IDS client been updated on her machine lately ??

Without knowing more, its almost impossible to give you any advice on this. The 'payroll' lady, is she using the Payroll module when this happens, or something else?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

beckyc

Post by beckyc »

She’s not even able to open any module. She logs in to the ids client and then logs in to Power church and it almost immediately logs her out and she has to try again. She did update the ids client. It happens on both the computers at her location (I think that she has windows 10 on one computer and 8? on another)

What kind of internet speed requirements are there for Powerchurch? I know she has Verizon and I know it is not dialup.

I thought that you were allowed 2 concurrent users. She usually blames her disconnects on the fact that someone in the church office might be logged in - but if two are allowed, then it wouldn’t matter if the office was or wasn’t logged in. We would never have a situation where more than two users were even trying to log in, so that can’t be the issue.

I’ll have to check with her to see what other software is running concurrently. Is there software that affects Powerchurch if it is just installed on your computer but not currently running?

Thanks for the input. I’m sure it’s something in her setup so I’ve been trying to figure out different questions to ask her to try and narrow down the problem.

Becky

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

beckyc wrote:She’s not even able to open any module. She logs in to the ids client and then logs in to Power church and it almost immediately logs her out and she has to try again. She did update the ids client. It happens on both the computers at her location (I think that she has windows 10 on one computer and 8? on another)

What kind of internet speed requirements are there for Powerchurch? I know she has Verizon and I know it is not dialup.

I thought that you were allowed 2 concurrent users. She usually blames her disconnects on the fact that someone in the church office might be logged in - but if two are allowed, then it wouldn’t matter if the office was or wasn’t logged in. We would never have a situation where more than two users were even trying to log in, so that can’t be the issue.

I’ll have to check with her to see what other software is running concurrently. Is there software that affects Powerchurch if it is just installed on your computer but not currently running?

Thanks for the input. I’m sure it’s something in her setup so I’ve been trying to figure out different questions to ask her to try and narrow down the problem.

Becky
Since its happening on both her computers it sounds more like a problem on her network or router than an error with Powerchurch. I'm suspecting a firewall or issue with her router. Powerchurch Online users have live phone support, you may have to give them a call as they can probably diagnose the issue using a Teamviewer/desktop sharing application.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.