Saving an Excel File

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

wms7328

Saving an Excel File

Post by wms7328 »

Using PC online, when attempting to save a report in Excel file format, .xls, the file does not save in this format. It transfers to the local machine without the .xls extension so Excel can not open the file. In trying the other formats for report saving, it appears the file that is transferred is not in any of the recognized file formats. When the file is transferred and the box opens to specify where to save it, the file type can not be set to either .doc or .xls or any other file types. I'm new to PC Online but have been using PC for many years on a local machine. Appears to be different for online version in saving reports as files. Have checked the manual and haven't found any solution.
Please advise.

NeilZ

Re: Saving an Excel File

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:Using PC online, when attempting to save a report in Excel file format, .xls, the file does not save in this format. It transfers to the local machine without the .xls extension so Excel can not open the file. In trying the other formats for report saving, it appears the file that is transferred is not in any of the recognized file formats. When the file is transferred and the box opens to specify where to save it, the file type can not be set to either .doc or .xls or any other file types. I'm new to PC Online but have been using PC for many years on a local machine. Appears to be different for online version in saving reports as files. Have checked the manual and haven't found any solution.
Please advise.
1. Are you adding the proper extension when you tell the system to save the file. There is this note in the Summer 2017 Powerchurch newsletter about this please note the area I highlighted:
"The process of saving other files, like report exports, from PowerChurch Online is similar. When you bring a report up on the screen, click the Save As button (floppy disk icon) and choose the file type to save as (PDF, Excel, etc.) The report file will be generated, downloaded to your local computer, and then a window will open asking where to save it and what to name the file.

Something important to remember when saving files to your local computer from PowerChurch Online is in most cases, the file extension is not automatically added to the file name. For example, you run a report in PowerChurch and on the screen preview, click the Save As button. You choose to save it as a PDF. When the window opens asking where to save the file, it will have a default file name of PCREPORT. For this to be recognized as a PDF file, you would need to add the ".PDF" on the end of that file name."
This is a limitation of the system, as the terminal program only knows that its moving a file, and does not know of 'file types'.

2. Do you have your system setup to show the extension of the files in your directories?
3. The online version of Powerchurch is basically the same as the desktop, but with some differences due to the terminal program having to be used.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

Neil, thanks for your info. I had searched the online manual and didn't find this info. This solved the problem. I was assuming it added the file type like the local version. Once you type in the file type, it works as usual. Maybe this note should be put in the online manual, if it's in there now, I just didn't find it.

Thanks again.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:Neil, thanks for your info. I had searched the online manual and didn't find this info. This solved the problem. I was assuming it added the file type like the local version. Once you type in the file type, it works as usual. Maybe this note should be put in the online manual, if it's in there now, I just didn't find it.

Thanks again.
Unfortunately, its a limitation of the Terminal program, the online manual is basically the same as the local program version. These things are part of the online Knowledgebase articles under the SUPPORT menu on the main Powerchurch website.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.