Learning Power Church

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GDH1

Learning Power Church

Post by GDH1 »

I've just been elected treasurer at a fairly large church. We currently use PWC, however not to its fullest potential. I seem to running into a brick wall here. When I talk to PWC, they indicate to me that I need to pay for technical support to answer any basic questions. Having been an accountant for many years, I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of user manual available. We currently are not doing our payroll from PWC, and I am not locating in the user forum, ways to do this. Since we have used PWC for many years, I'm reluctant to switch them to Quick books, how ever that has been recommended, by auditors. Does anyone have any clues where I might find a learning source before making some drastic changes?

Thanks

Gary

Eden Whitehead

Re: Learning Power Church

Post by Eden Whitehead »

GDH1 wrote:I've just been elected treasurer at a fairly large church. We currently use PWC, however not to its fullest potential. I seem to running into a brick wall here. When I talk to PWC, they indicate to me that I need to pay for technical support to answer any basic questions. Having been an accountant for many years, I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of user manual available. We currently are not doing our payroll from PWC, and I am not locating in the user forum, ways to do this. Since we have used PWC for many years, I'm reluctant to switch them to Quick books, how ever that has been recommended, by auditors. Does anyone have any clues where I might find a learning source before making some drastic changes?

Thanks

Gary
Hi, Gary!
First, just to clarify -- when you say "PWC" I take it you mean PowerChurch Plus, right? What version? Also, you posted your question in the "PowerChurch Online" forum, so does that mean you are using the PowerChurch Online product? It is different from the standard product.

Disclaimer - The church where I am secretary/bookkeeper is very small so we do not have a need for the payroll module and I guess that pretty much disqualifies me from addressing your questions. However, I would very strongly encourage you to explore both the Help menu in whatever version of PC+ you are using as well as the website. There are tons of training helps available! Even something like browsing all the various payroll-related threads on this forum could be a valuable learning tool. This may just be personal bias, but I think it would be a serious step backwards to move from PC+ to Quickbooks (or any other product, for that matter! :) )

Best wishes!
Eden
*Still* learning... and gratefully so!

NeilZ

Re: Learning Power Church

Post by NeilZ »

GDH1 wrote:I've just been elected treasurer at a fairly large church. We currently use PWC, however not to its fullest potential. I seem to running into a brick wall here. When I talk to PWC, they indicate to me that I need to pay for technical support to answer any basic questions. Having been an accountant for many years, I find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of user manual available. We currently are not doing our payroll from PWC, and I am not locating in the user forum, ways to do this. Since we have used PWC for many years, I'm reluctant to switch them to Quick books, how ever that has been recommended, by auditors. Does anyone have any clues where I might find a learning source before making some drastic changes?

Thanks

Gary
Eden is right, there are many ways of finding out how to use Powerchurch. However, there IS a user manual for the program its just that the church may no longer know where it is. That said, you can buy one on the Powerchurch website, https://www.powerchurch.com/catalog/index.php . Manuals are available for versions 7 thru 11. There are some online training available, and the cost is reasonable, and the training is VERY good. There are some training videos, but I believe they cover version 11 Payroll only, but other videos are applicable to earlier versions: http://www.powerchurch.com/support/videos/index.php

She's also right in asking if you're using the Online version of Powerchurch, but based on your post, I suspect you're using the PC based version. That said, we really need to know what version you're using. I suspect either version 9 or 10 (10.4).

If you could let us know what version we would be in a better position to assist.

Eden's also right about moving to Quickbooks, as it is really not designed for churches, and Powerchurch is from the ground up. The auditors just want something that they're familiar with, but the same types of reports are available from Powerchurch.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.